Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transferring Fastener points 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcllyf

Jul 1, 2013
I have an assembly in catia with parts exceeding 25. All these parts have their fastener points marked by means of points. Now I need to transfer all these points to the main mating member in the assembly. What is best and the efficient way to do it. One requirement the solution should comprise of is, when the part is relocated by giving some other co-ordinate values the points should also move.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make the main part model active in the product, and then use the 3D coordinate point function to create a point with 0,0,0 displacement from each of the fastener points. Make sure you do not create a link to the file of the fastener point. The points created in the geometric set of the main model will be isolated, since you used the 3D coordinate point function to create them, you can edit each point to redefine its origin to the axis origin of your main part model. This approach is a bit clumsy, and I'm sure someone else probably knows a cleaner way to do it, but it will work and should not take long for 25 points

Good luck to you.

I have to disagree with tbuelna - you do want the links between the two models so the fastner points in the mating model follow any changes made in the parent part.

I suggest:

1. publish all the points
2. copy the publications in the parent part (you can select all of them if you want)
3. in the mating part, use Paste Special + Paste With Link to transfer the points

(I'm assuming both parts are using the same origin & axis system)

Hi,

All depends on company method/procedure...usually in aircraft industry each part (with some exceptions) has their own origin not a common one so they can be reused in many different assemblies (for example brackets reused even in different airplanes...).

That's why you don't want links (sorry jackk, this time I have to disagree with you, I saw that xcllyf is in Aerospace industry) ...in many companies I saw those fasteners points in separate parts or components (in assemblies).

Regards
Fernando

jackk-

The reason for my suggested approach was as ferdo noted. With a product composed of one or two parts with several fasteners installed in holes in the parts, you normally want to constrain the fastener to the part. I do heartily agree with your suggestion to publish the fastener features to be used for assembly constraints, and this is common practice in industry. For example, a bolt would usually have the body axis and underhead face features published. But as ferdo noted, if the point copied into the main part model was linked back to the fastener part model, the only way to modify the position of the point in the main part model would be to modify the position constraints of the particular fastener instance in the product the point is linked to, and then go to the main part model and update it. While this is possible, it is backwards from how CATIAV5 is designed to be used and how most PDM systems function.

Another thing to consider is why CATIAV5 has the published feature function. In large engineering departments that use CATIAV5, the designer responsible for producing and releasing the CAD model of the part, the fastener, and the product are usually not the same person, and the models are often released at different times. Due to configuration management requirements, once a part or fastener model is released that model file is locked down, and often the only features of a part or fastener that can be selected for applying positional constraints in a product are published features.

While this approach is not the only way to accomplish what was asked about in the OP, it is industry practice, so it would seem like a good idea to use it.

Regards,
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back