Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transferring PDM Vault

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveparkinson

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2008
GB
Afternoon all,

I want to create, set up and trial a vault on my laptop and then transfer it to my work server once I am happy with it.

My reasons are...

1) More time to trial the vault.
2) I can't seem to get 5 minutes to myself in the office.

I am the only person using the vault, as I am the only Solid Works user. Are there any best practices that I should follow when transferring a vault?

Finally, how do you transfer a vault? Is it a case of overwriting the unwanted Vault Data folder with the correct Vault Data folder. Or should I be using PDMW Export?

Do I have to manually make sure that all of the Lifecycle/Revision options in VaultAdmin are identical, or can I choose to copy the settings over (from the laptop version)?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience with PDMWorks Workgroup 2007 has been that if you shutdown the PDMWorks service and then copy the entire vault folder tree to another computer which has PDMWorks installed and its service shut down, then all of the vault data and settings from the source vault will appear on the destination vault once the service has been restarted on the destination computer.

Eric

When we transferred our vault to a new server years ago, we used Eric's method.
Remember make backups and once you begin to login to the laptop vault you will have to give it the vault name.

Standing
SolidWorks Pro 2009 x64, SP3.0, PDMWorks Workgroup, SolidWorks BOM,
HP xw8600, 64-bit Windows Vista Business, Service Pack 1
Intel Xeon CPU, 3.00 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Virtual memory 166682 MB, nVidia Quadro FX 4600

Shut down server and then copy the whole tree. There is a registry entry that points to the vault. You can actually have multiple vaults and change them by changing the registry that points to it (when the server is shut down). I've seen SW people do this with an icon on the desktop.

You have to be careful with PDMWorks because it keeps the entire database in memory and rebuilds it from the physical folder structure. So if you change the folder while the database is in memory bad things happen.

CSWP
BSSE

"Node news is good news."

I decided just to go ahead and transfer it all at work, seemed the safer option and besides the weather is too nice to be transferring PDM vaults at home on my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back