Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transformer Field of influence

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy91082

Electrical
Jan 22, 2009
US
Hello there.

I am using cats resin type transformers (5kv primary - 208Y/120v secondary) and am looking for tables or graph that would show the emi sphere of influence from a distance "x" from transformers for a kVA size. I have looked at a few transformer manufacturers and they do not seem to have that information.

Thanks.
b

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you will find much. Never heard of this being an issue. The conductors in and out of the transformer will probably contribute much more EMI than the transformer itself.

Hello,

For what do you need to know a level of emi? Properly electromagnetic field is concentrated in transformer core. There is a directive of electromagnetic compatibility for electric and electronic devices and installation rules which manufacturers recommend to use when you arrange an equipment.

The transformer is 50' away from a nano-tech clean room. We are concerened with magnetic field interference from the transformer to sensitive equipment within the clean room.

I have called several transformer manufacturers and it does not appear that this information is available.

Magnetic field from the transformer can be from LV leads carrying heavy current and also from the leakage flux from the windings. The said transformer must be with a metalic cover and this will act as a magnetic shield as far as the magnetic field is concerned.What is the kVA of transformer? How the LV lead is taken out? Since your clean room is 50 feet away, I dont think the field will reach there.There are methods to measure such magnetic interference,I may be able to come with relevent IEC

The following standards cover EMC( Electromagnetic compatibility) requirements for the referred issue:

1)IEc61000-6-4 (1997) EMC generic standard- Emission standard for industrial environments
2)IEC 61000-6-5(2001) EMC Generic stanandards-Immunity for power station and substation environments
3)IEC61000-4-8 Power frequency magnetic field immunity test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back