Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transformer MVA rating IEEE vs. IEC 1

cuky2000

Electrical
Aug 18, 2001
DO
There are difference between IEEE STD and IEC STD associated to power transformer rating as shown on the table below.
For a 100MVA unit with 30 degree C average ambient temperature in 24 hrs. What should be the maximum rating if specified per IEEE or the same maximum rating if designed based on the IEC std.?
IMG_3017_b4ohhc.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Cranky108, for temperature rise, the diferencial in Kevin or Celsius is the same.
The Celsius and Kelvin scales increase by the same increments, meaning that to increase the temperature by 1°C results in the same increase of 1 K. The major difference is that when water freezes, a Celsius thermometer will read 0°C, and a Kelvin thermometer will read 273.15 K.

If the transformer is built as per IEEE/ANSI or NEMA instructions -certain materials and dimensions-if the ambient temperature is lower you may overload in a way the transformer without reducing its life.
The same, on a transformer built as per IEC standard you have to reduce the load if the ambient is upper.
The calculation has to follow IEEE std. C57.91
and IEC 60076-2 and IEC 60354, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what "Life ambient temperature" means. For ANSI, my understanding is that the rating is based on a 30 deg C max ambient average over 24 hours.

Back