Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transformer short circuit impedance & full impedance when to use which? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Liew

Electrical
Apr 27, 2020
TW
Dear Buddies, The transformer impedance voltage is given in percentage of the total impedance. This is obtained by short circuiting the secondary and inject at the primary to get a full load current on the secondary. This is also often considered the short circuit impedance.
Q1. Which impedance shall I use for calculation during power system analysis in a stable load condition. Some people use the short circuit impedance but I am not sure if this is right?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Impedance voltage is NOT a percentage of a total impedance!

It's just the transformer impedance expresed as a relative value (relative to a given base, like: Z% = Z/Zbase). As a relative value (in % or per unit), short-circuit impedance and short-circuit voltage (obtained as you described) are equal (long story short: because the current at wich you tested the transformer is the rated one, so its 100% or 1 pu in relative value).

Now, you want to know when to use the %impedance vs its absolut value in ohms?:

This might help you.

The trick is to know wich base to use, because you can get, for one physical property, a lot of different values.

Percent impedance is the percent of rated voltage to drive rated current through a short circuited secondary.
To that end it is sometimes referred to as "Percent Impedance Voltage".
For mechanical forces during a short circuit, use the asynchronous current which may be over twice the current calculated with the % imp.
The asynchronous current will approach 2 x √2 or 2.8 times the synchronous short circuit current.
This is the ratio of the peak to peak voltage versus the RMS voltage of a sine wave.
How close it will approach depends on the X/R ratio of the transformer and the point on wave of the switching.
For normal loads, use the transformer regulation percent voltage drop.
For a rigourous solution, consider the Electro Motive Force (EMF or voltage) driving a current through a series circuit comprised of:
The transformer resistance
The transformer inductive reactance
The load resistance
The load reactance, whether inductive or capacitive.
Be aware that the rated regulation is at a specified X/R ratio of the load, and the actual regulation will change depending on the X/R ratio of the load.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

David/Waross/Argotier,
Thank you guys very much for your contribution/answer to my question. Your answer has given me greater understanding of the concept involved. I have another thing to add i.e : If I have a string of transformer with different voltages and power along a feeder, then the %Z of the transformers will change base on which base power I select as the base power of the network I want to analyse right?

Per_Unit_hvrn5k.png

Say for e.g the circuit above, where both transformer are rated 50MVA given %Z= 10% & 12%. If the 1st the transformer (z=10%) is rated at 100MVA(instead of 50MVA) and I chose to use 100MVA as the base, then the 2nd transformer's impedance would become 6% or 0.06 p.u right?

There are two other impedances, considered some times, during issues connected with transformers.
1)No load impedance- Resistive element based on iron losses and reactive element based on excitation kVA required at rated voltage. This impedance is quite high as excitation KVA is usually less than 0.5 % of rated KVA.
2) Air core reactance of winding- Tis is required for calculation of inrush current and certain overvoltage issues. In this case, core is considered as fully saturated and hence the term air core reactance.

TS Liew,
There is something wrong here.
If the second transformer is rated @ 50MVA/12% and therefore @ 100MVA base the impedance is 24% and not 6%.
Pl. refer to basic p.u. equations given in any power systems text book.

Thank you prc for your input especially on the inrush current aspect.

Thank you Kiribanda for your input, I calculated the 6% or 0.06p.u as below:-

change_base_P_dt0xjh.png

Could you kindly point out what I did wrong? & How to get 24% instead?

TS Liew (Electrical testing, Commissioning, Power system studies)

Z,short circuit impedance in ohms, will not change with base MVA.

Zpu= IZ/Rated voltage, where I =rated current corresponding to 50 MVA

When base is 100 MVA, I will be doubled.

z' pu on 100 MVA base = 2IZ/Rated voltage= 2xZpu.

TS Liew,
You have already got Z(Base new)=2xZ(Base old).
Below that equation I donot understand what you have derived!!!
Sorry.
My advise is to read a power systems text book to clarify your doubt(s).
From your Thread # 238-468803 too I can see that you have a similar basic question
on basic power system analysis.

TS Liew, the basic problem in your above calculation is that you are using Z[sub]base[/sub] as though it is directly proportional to the MVA rating S[sub]base[/sub], but Z[sub]base[/sub] is inversely proportional to the MVA rating S[sub]base[/sub]:

Z[sub]base[/sub] = V[sup]2[/sup][sub]base[/sub]/S[sub]base[/sub].

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Percent Impedance Voltage;
The voltage required to drive rated current through a short circuited secondary.
If the KVA base is doubled the rated current will be doubled.
Thus the voltage to drive the double rated current through a short circuited secondary will be doubled.
Twice the voltage divided by the rated voltage will be twice as much, hence 24%

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Dear buddies, I apologize for the wrong calculation, the above calculation should have been:-
New_base_for_Ztx_pu1_qnwwh7.png

Hence the new Zpu =0.24
Thank you all really much for your help and enlightenment.

TS Liew (Electrical testing, Commissioning, Power system studies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back