Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transformer testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrical
Dec 9, 2002
PH

Can you suggest what is more advantage or helpful in Transformer testing, doing insulation resistance test or insulation power factor test.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The power factor test is more comprehensive if I had to limit myself to just one, but why would we do that?

Power factor test set = $$$

Insulation resistance test set = $

Hiring a competent testing contractor to show up and do the tests usually means you get BOTH tests anyway. They are part of a pretty standard battery of tests on oil-filled transformers above a certain size.

old field guy

I am familiar with insulation resistance testing (meggar test) when commissioning a transformer, but I've never heard of an insulation power factor test. Can someone please give me a brief explaination?

Thanks!

It also called dissipation factor and test the real component of the leakage current through the insulation. Ideally, when insulation is in a good shape, the leakage current is purely capacitive. However, e.g. when water presents the leakage current will have resistive component.

Google tan delta test - loads of hits.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Breaker - capable to interrupt a fault current
Load break switch , by its name - can interrupt the load current but not the fault current

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back