Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

transient stability and power systems 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

qvo

Electrical
Oct 31, 2002
US
Can anyone suggest a good book regarding transient stability and power systems. It would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also "Power System Protection" by P.M. Anderson, IEEE Press

"Applied Protective Relaying", old Westinghouse book, possibly still available through ABB

There friends,

I believe that Stevenson book and the old Westhinghouse book are good elementary references for transient stability analysis. However, there are other reference that are more up-today that include modern static excitation system, automatic voltage regulator (AVR), modern and faster governors, power system stabilizer (PSS), modern power electronic devices and new modeling techniques vital for the transient stability analysis.

In addition to the other references mentioned above, I suggest to consider the following:

a- Power System Stability & Control (EPRI) by P. Kundur.
b-Power System Control & Stability (IEEE) by P. Anderson & A. Fouad
c- Understanding FACTS (Flexible AC Transmission Systems) by N. Hingorani & L. Gyugyi.

Suggestion: If you have to follow an industry standard, perhaps IEEE Std 399-1997 IEEE Recommended Practice for Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Analysis, Chapter 8 "Stability Studies" with references behind can be a good start.

"Power System Stability" by Edward Wilson Kimbark.

This is a 3-volume set and is a real classic. The work dates from the 40's and 50's but do not be put off by that. The author is highly respected and uses the written word well.

The 3-volume set has been re-printed by the IEEE press (I got mine from them) and may well be available from Amazon, Barnes & Nobel etc.

Regards

I forgot about Kimbark. I would have added this to my earlier post had I thought of it. That title, plus Stevenson, midnight oil, and elbow grease, are how I learned it!

Elgerd's book "Electric Energy Systems Theory" has a good basic coverage of power system stability. For the advanced reader I would recommend a collection of classic papers in "Stability of Large Electric Power Systems" published by the IEEE Press in 1974 under the editorship of R.T. Byerly and E.W. Kimbark.

I have three textbooks on that subject:

#1 - Power System Stability and Control by Prabha Kundur, McGraw Hill 1994

#2 - Power System Control and Stability by Paul Anderson and A Fouad, IEEE Press 1994

#3 - Energy Function Analysis for Power System Stability by M Pai Kluwer Academic Publishers 1989.

I think it is an easy subject to get lost in the math and lose the intuition and practical understanding. Book #1 does a very good job of tieing the concepts to real-world applications, IMHO. Far better than the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back