Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Translation between I-deas 12 and Solidworks 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerbarny

Automotive
May 25, 2007
GB
If anyone could give me some help with this I would really appreciate it.

I need to be able to transfer parts between i-deas and solidworks, preferably both ways, and retain the history and features.

My understanding is that this is possible with STEP files. However, simply exporting a standard step file does not work- while i do get the right solid body imported with no faults when transfering either way, the receptive program does not recognise any features so i cant edit it.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks very much for your time. :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good luck in your quest. I doubt if you'll find much of anything that will translate feature to feature. If you do, it will be a 3rd party software, as most of the standard translators (DXF, IGES, STEP, Parasolid) do not recognize features, only geometry.

STEP is a neutral file format and it has never retained features. It's no different than IGES in that regard. STEP handles solids better than IGES does, as well as retaining information for PDM and that's about it.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Thanks very much, ive posted this in the solidworks forum too, and they all seem to think its not really possible. For some reason i had the impression it could be done, but clearly not.
Cheers anyway.

Hello bikerbarny (Automotive),

No way my friend! This comes from someone who has lots of experience with quite few CAD software.

Best regards and good luck,

Leska

There is one way to take the I-deas parts and translate them to SW, using STP, IGS or X_T. Then you can use feature recognition to generate a history tree for some ot the features.
But the other side is not possible. You can take just a solid body (orphan).

Regards: Dimo Urumov

Hello, I need to know if they save a work in I-deas NX10 so as to open and view SolidWorks (only for it). Or if there is any way to export the latter program. I explain how to do it?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back