Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Translational Periodicity

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanME

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2012
US
User Base,

I'm using Ansys V13 Mechanical Workbench.

I am attempting to model a cell of a brazed heat exchanger core with multiple layers of fins/tubes for a homogenization analysis. I want to apply a periodic boundary condition on each plane of the 'unit cell' to simulate the periodic nature of the large core. However, ANSYS only allows me to apply a periodic condition in a cylindrical coordinate system, not a Cartesian system as I desire. The core is grid-like in nature. Is it possible to create translational periodicity in ANSYS V13 using a work-around? Can this be accomplished with an APDL script?

I understand that symmetric boundary conditions can be applied in a Cartesian system, but this is not adequate for my analysis. As far as I've found through internet research, Translational Periodicity is only available in Ansys CFX, not Workbench.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd also be willing to supply any more information that is needed (a picture of the core or unit cell, etc.).

Thanks for reading,
-Ian

"All models are wrong, but some are usefull" - George E. P. Box

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I still have no been able to solve this problem.

Does anyone have experience with the APDL command 'HFARRAY'?

Thanks again...
-Ian

"All models are wrong, but some are usefull" - George E. P. Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back