Transmission axle tube materials thickness and their strength ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henryzhang

Materials
May 25, 2004
CN
Hi every engineers
I have a question,what the thickness outer-diameter and strength been used currently for heavy duty truck transmission axle tubes? what kind of technology do they use,for example, Hot-rolled sheet roll,High frequency weld(Laser weld) ,cold draw finally.
Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While built strong enough to do the job that is required of it, you have to remember that the propeller shaft is also built to be the weakest link in the drive train, like a fusible link. Much cheaper to replace a twisted drive shaft than a clutch, or a transmission (gearbox) gear or a differential gear, or a drive axle shaft, or a planetary, if one would have a planetary final drive.

Now, past that, the metallurgical experts will have to tell you how they are built. I had a few of them built over the years, when I had trucks, and I saw it done, and the welding of the tube to the yoke castings was no big deal, done with stick sometimes and wire others, and often by workers who could not weld much better than I could daub, but I have no idea what the tubing itself was welded with along its length, nor what the material was. I had no reason to believe that it was very high pedigree, however.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back