Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transonic Flow over a missile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctcon

Aerospace
Dec 23, 2003
GB
Hello everyone!
Does anyone have any ideas what solver,boundary conditions etc are suitable for this scenario?

Also, are there any chat sites where i can get help with Fluent?

Many Thanks in advance :eek:)-

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is what? NPARC is the more-or-less "standard" solver for military/aerospace flow modelling. If you browse the site, and its associated links (including probably a few trips to the library to look up some AIAA papers) you should find out how other users have modelled similar problems.

The code is available for a nominal distribution fee to qualified Americans and US-owned companies. I've used earlier versions for modelling of supersonic inlets. The user manual is well-written, and you should be able to walk through your problem with only a few trial-and-error iterations before you get results that look okay.

Ok Thanks btrueblood.

I am at university and have been using their licensed software (Fluent CFD) for my project since September so don't have enough time to learn a different software package.

What is the official website for NPARC and is NPARC the software or the company that make it?

Many Thanks

ctcon,

The NPARC website, as far as I know, is still the link you posted; the name of the code may have changed recently (it used to be called NPARC and was a density-based code, the new code called "Wind" is a pressure-based code very similar to Fluent), but the NPARC alliance is still working.

In any case, the user manual for the new code is a free download, and walks you through some simple examples of analysis, as well as discussing the various types of b.c.'s and how they are numerically evaluated or approximated. As mentioned above, there are a lot of papers written to AIAA conferences using the NPARC & Wind codes as the solver. A little research and legwork should get you a ways down the road. You should be able to apply what you've learned from the public documents how to use your in-house code to model similar flows. Or, to learn whether or not the Fluent solver is capable of doing it.

I'm not sure how well the pressure-solver codes (Wind, Fluent) work for transonic or mixed super-/subsonic flow, as I mentioned, the earlier NPARC code was a density-based code that was very robust in mixed super/subsonic flows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back