transparency in part vs in assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogibear

Mechanical
Sep 5, 2002
US
We are experiencing some issues using transparency in SW2003. SP2.1
If I have a part file open and make a face of the part transparent you can see the insides of it. Now if you open an assembly that has that part in it you can not see the insides anymore. I can tell that it is trans. though because as you move your mouse over the face it highlights the insides.

Here is an interesting twist.

All faces are solid so you can't see through them.
If you make the part face inside the assembly trans. and then open the part file it comes up trans. but you still can't see through the part in the assembly.

Is there some option somewhere that I'm not seeing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to set the parts transparency in an assembly seperately. Right click on the part. Go to componant properties--color--advanced--transparency.

we have been just making a face transparent not the whole part. With 2001+ we didn't have this problem so I didn't know if there was an option that I haven't seen that needs changed.

Yogibear,

I made one face transparent in a part, and when I opened the assembly with that part in it, the part has a transparent face. I think this is what you are trying to do, and if so, then there is a setting. I'll look for it. I'm using 2003sp2.1 by the way...

Mr. Pickles

Try this:
In your assembly, right click on your part and select properties.
Make sure the Radio Button "Use component display properties in subassembly XXX" is CHECKED and "Override display properties" is UNCHECKED.

Not sure of the exact wording, but that should get you there.

Hey Arlin.
I can't find where you are seeing the "use component display. .. ." I've looked under the component props. and face props. and still don't see what your talking about. Can you be more discriptive.

Yogibear,

If in your assembly, the face is NOT transparent, but in your model, it IS transparent,then try this...

In the Assembly, right-click the part in question. Select "Component Properties". Select "Color". Pick "Remove Color" (red, green & Blue go to zero's). Click OK, then OK. The face should now be transparent.

If the Part has a Transparent face, and in the Assembly you don't want it to be (it is transparent at this point), then do the same thing as before, but choose the "Use Assembly" option (instead of Remove Color). The face will now be "solid", but it is still "transparent", so you can pick faces through it and you can't pick the face that you see. Cool huh?

Mr. Pickles

actually in the assembly mode you would right-click on the component, and select Component Properties then click on COlor. On the Right side of the dialog you will see Advanced{/b]... Click on that and the "advanced properties" dialog will come up. Use the Transparency slider to adjust to the desired transparency level.

hope that helps.

Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

Pickles,
That does what I want. The only draw back is that it turns it all black and makes it somewhat hard to see. I guess I can deal with that though. Is this a change that is just being noticed? I know in previous versions we were able to look at a part in the assy. file and make it trans. and it still be the same color as the part file.

Yogibear,

In your Assembly, under "Options/Document Properties", you can set the Assembly Color. In the Color section, there is 2 choices. One is the shaded color, which in your case is Black. Change it to something pleasing.

Want it to do it all the time, change the setting in your Assembly Template, and then save it. It will be that color on every new assemby.

Appeng, I don't think he needs to change the transparency, he wants to show or not show it. Good point though.

Mr. Pickles

Setting the high/low transparency quality in the display performance settings also has some effects. Plus there is a setting which allows you to select other entities through transparent ones which you might want to look at.

Yogibear,

Ok, a little clarification on my part. Your part must be in a SUBASSEMBLY for the options I spoke of to be available. Besides, I don't think it would have worked anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back