Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transparent Flexible PVC tubes pipes getting foggy/yellowish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are there any additives in the water?
Even if there aren't this is to be expected, simple aging of the resin.
Higher quality tubing might be a big help. Such as lined tube used for food applications.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

You need to use a low permeability plastic if you want it to stay clear. FEP is the best option. FEP tubing is semi-rigid so it doesn't do tight bends well. FEP lined PVC tubing is a more flexible alternative. Tygon SE-200 is an example.

Are you treating your water with corrosion inhibitors? Any corrosion products will form a film on all surfaces.

Can you attach your photos in the Eng tips attachment.

Those links want me to do lots of things...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

"Are there any additives in the water?
Even if there aren't this is to be expected, simple aging of the resin.
Higher quality tubing might be a big help. Such as lined tube used for food applications.
"

It is not actually a normal water but a coolant:

Temperatures of coolant are around 30 to 40°C to max 45°C.

What kind of higher quality tubing do you have in mind, what kind of lined tubes?

LittleInch: You are right; i didnt know you have to do all those things to get to the picture, so here they are:

tubesfoggy_ea46rn.jpg

p.s. Can i directly reply to a post so you can be noticed that i replied? Cant find a button :i

Basically ... it doesnt look good after a while as the tubes are getting foggy, but i dont know the reason or how to eliminate this effect.

"Are you treating your water with corrosion inhibitors? Any corrosion products will form a film on all surfaces."

Are you sure about that the corrosion inhibitors are causing a film?
And actually it is not water but a "coolant" - see here:

"You need to use a low permeability plastic if you want it to stay clear. FEP is the best option. FEP tubing is semi-rigid so it doesn't do tight bends well. FEP lined PVC tubing is a more flexible alternative. Tygon SE-200 is an example."[highlight #FCE94F][/highlight]

Thank you for a suggestion although this seems like 7 times more expensive option:

PVC: 2$/1feet
Tygon SE-200: 14$/1feet

Gamer rig... $4000.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

You can't directly reply to a post here, only start the para with @xxx and give a date and time if you need to.

Most regulars check back fairly frequently.

Apart from aesthetics, I can't see the issue here?
If it doesn't get brittle and crack what's the problem?
But yes, cheap "plastic" tubing will yellow with age and any temp much above about 25C

Only application of $$$ will impact the resistance to discolouration I'm afraid.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

My son suggested that cooling systems often have a biocide added; is this the case?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

A lack of corrosion inhibitors causes the film. Without inhibitors you get oxides of metal suspended in the water which can plate out and coat surfaces.

The nice thing a out the FEP tubing is that it's very slick so it can be flushed or rodded out if it ever does get a film on it's surface.

My son (a gamer) suggests distilled water with a biocide and a silver coil in the line (acts as a biocide, too). He said he saw a posting where someone had used a bourbon barrel and coloured coolant to imitate bourbon for cooling and had designed the 'plumbing' to look like a still.

They have proprietary liquid coolants EKWB provides coolants including one called Unicorn Vomit... that's what gamers call it... real name is Mystic Fog...

-Dik

@LittleInch (Petroleum)

As you said ... aesthetics is the problem here. Functionally it doesnt cause (known) problems... i mean, if the particles are too big it could also clog the watercooling blocks, potentially. But the main issue here is aesthetics, as the big part of watercooled PC rig is the aesthetics:)

And you are probably right that more $$$ will probably need to be applied for a better quality tubing.

I'll ask my son when he gets in... I don't know. Can your supplier give you any advice? There are a couple of very good websites that deal with custom builds... maybe they can offer some info. All my builds have liquid cooling, but stock NZXT 'Kraken'. I don't push my machines, but my son does...

-Dik

I used exactly that tubing for years with aquariums. Some of the worst to do that were only used rarely for cleaning processes. As they turning to looking like that they also got STICKY TO THE TOUCH and became stiff as hell. I suspect it's the elastomers coming out. That suggests you replace them every two years or there-abouts.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back