Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transport Truck Radiator Pressure Drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aero55

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2005
CA
I'm piecing together a cooling system for an engine test lab, and am looking at using a transport truck radiator. Does anyone know approximate flow rates and pressure drop for these? I've been looking all over the web and without luck. I know that they can dissapate around 10,000 Btu/min, which is more than adequate from what I am using, but I'd need to know the other info for pump sizing.
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no data for trucks.

Maybe this will help anyway:
A Cat 3306B DITA (200..300BHP) for marine use has a coolant pump that moves 53 gpm at 1800 engine rpm at 15.7 feet of water.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Easy enough to develop your own curve.

Lay your radiator flat on a table (or preferably in a big sink).

Connect a hose to one of the radiator connections.

Connect the other end of the hose to a known volume of water.

Raise the volume to a known height above the radiator, time how long it takes for the water to fall out.

Repeat for other heights.

That's a bit large from what I would want. Ideally I'm looking for something around 5000 btu/min heat removal, running around 5-10 gpm, under low pressure(10feet head). Would an automotive V8 or pick up truck radiator be adequate. I've been searching high and low, but can't really dig up any numbers from any system.

MintJ - thanks for the advice, I might take that on once I get said radiator, but currently I'm wondering what type of donor vehicle to look for in a scrap yard.

You mentioned an engine test lab. What sort of engine? Can you find something comparable in volume and thermal properties?

Later

Quote: "Its not what you know, its who you know" - anybody trying to find a decent job

Why are you worried about "too large"? If you get too much heat being removed, turn the water pump and/or fan speed down, or close a valve partially to modulate flow, or block a portion of the radiator air flow (ever see long-haul semi trucks in northern winters with canvas flaps over the radiators?).

Its a system that is supposed to accomodate multiple engines. I was able to find some useful info eventually. Thanks for the pointers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back