Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transtech System Soil Density Gauge (SDG 200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terratek

Geotechnical
Oct 17, 2014
US
Does anyone have any experience with this equipment? If so, what are your thoughts in terms of accuracy, reliability, etc. It is a proposed replacement for the nuclear density gauge. It is similar to the EDG, but measures different properties.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not used the SDG, but I've been working with Transtech's PQIs on asphalt projects for a number of years now, and found them to be pretty accurate and very reliable, especially if you correlate the gauge with a core sample. I believe the soils gauge works on the same principle as the pavement gauge. I've heard that most state and federal agencies have not recognized the SDG for acceptance testing yet, so everyone continues to fall back on the nuclear gauges. It would be nice if that changed sometime soon so we wouldn't have to deal with all the NRC red tape and travel concerns.

Thanks JMack. From the literature available from the Transtech system website, it looks like it could be relatively accurate. I am trying to conceive the viability of using it strictly on private projects and without a NDG in the stable for backup. Even on private projects, a jury of my peers could deem it as not in conformance with standard care in the event that something went south. But I wonder if a sand cone test was used at least once per material on a job site if that would be sufficient.

Sand cone verification is a great thought. A couple of years back I worked on a power plant project that actually required a sand cone test for every 10 nuclear gauge tests to make sure everything was properly correlated. It's a good plan that should provide plenty of backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back