Treatment of Soapy Water for Discharge to Natural Waterway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StructSEZ

Structural
Mar 16, 2011
SC
Hi,

I've got a job here to beef up a government agency's 'green rating' on their building.
One of the things that can be improved on is the run-off of soapy water which is created when they wash their cars.
Being a diplomatic/protocol department, they have a fair few fancy cars for use by foreign dignataries etc, which are washed almost daily.

Currently, the run-off is drained into the storm drains which eventually flows into a nearby stream and then to the sea.
I'm trying to find a way of 'cleaning' the soapy water (removing detergent from it) before allowing it into the water way?

My first thought would be some kind of ionic precipitation in a holding tank and then releasing the water, but I'm really not familiar with soapy water treatment.

The following thread;

is not too relevant since I'm on a tropical island with 85% humidity rather than a desert.

Can anyone suggest anything please?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Linear alkylbenzenesulfonate is the main ingredient in soap. This is a dissolved organic and difficult to remove from water.
The only process that can remove it is the activated sludge process.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Wash the car under a car port and drain the wastewater into the sanitary sewer system.

2. Concentrate the wastewater with a RO system and transport the RO concentrate off site.

3. Prohibit car washing.

4. Prohibit the use of soap in car washing.

5. Evaporate the wastewater.

You're working for a government agency on a tropical island? Talk about having it rough!

Assuming your flows are on the order of hundreds of gallons per day and the detergents aren't anything exotic... I would suggest using a small single pass sand filter. Capture the water in a holding tank and use timed dosing and a small 1/2HP pump to apply frequent, small doses to the sand filter. See "Small and Decentralized Wastewater Management Systems" by Crites and Tchobanoglous for design considerations.

See also:

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

Love the way this whole thing became a holiday auction!

Spartan, I don't actually work for the government, just doing some consulting for them. But other than that, yes, Seychelles islands in the tropics (hence the SEZ in StructSEZ)...warm weather, sand, sea...

I'll take a look into the sand filter option. That sounds cheaper. With regards to the biological treatment I'll take a look into that too. Thanks for the links, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back