Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Trench Shield Books or DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pump2005

Civil/Environmental
Jan 14, 2006
US
My utility has just started using a small trench box and I saw some issues that I felt weren't safe, are there any good books or DVDs that are available so I can get more information for myself personally?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend that you and/or your folks enroll in Trench Excavation Safety classes, in order to better understand the laws and liabilities that regulate such underground work.

There are rigid guidelines established in the industry.
OSHA should have some online data on the subject.

That would be the smart thing to do but unfortunately I don't see that happening. My supervisors don't seem to see the situation they are putting their workers in so I want to gain as much knowledge as possible on my own.

Agree with DC and bb....there are no books that I know of that address the design of trench boxes in detail. You have to obtain info in bits and pieces, with OSHA being a good start. Some states have trench excavation or safety laws that are stronger than OSHA so check those as well.

Many years ago - a roof truss designer/engineer was on a job and he noticed that the trench was not shored AND he mentioned that to the GC. Guess what happened?? It collapsed and a couple of guys died or got severely injured. Who got sued - HE DID. Because he didn't call OSHA.

DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH TRENCHES. They are dangerous and many people die in them every year. Follow the OSHA regs!!!!.

if you don't have a competent person on the job, your company is already violating the OSHA regulations. Suggest you also bone up on OSHA 1926 subsection 1903, especially 1903.11 - Complaints by employees.

Thanks guys. Where I work it's just an old school mentality and lack of common sense. I am looking into the Competent Person training and the OSHA regulations.

Pump2005,
Unfortunately now that you have alittle knowledge, you could still be liable. Call OSHA for a review of your practices. they may send out someone to give you a heads up on what is good and bad about your practice. The boss never dies in an accident.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Actually OSHA has a practice where they will review your site - for free - and without penalties. They show you how to "clean up" your act and then you are good to go!!

Give them a call............

Dicksewerrat, I don't intend to put myself in a supervisory role just with the information I get on here or OSHA but to keep myself alive.

I understand. They would be liable. Ask the people that made your trench box. Also if your company has an insurance carrier, they would be a resource for training because they have to pay if things go wrong. Or your Risk Management person, part of HR sometimes.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back