Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trend IQ3 Relay Ouptus

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryBaldMan

Civil/Environmental
Jun 2, 2013
GB
Hi folks, I'm new here, first post.

I'm installing a Trend IQ3, and have set it to close two of the relay outputs based on a time clock (simple stuff I know). However, this doesn't seem to actually close the relay output? 'SET' thinks its shut, the IQ3 thinks its shut and the LED comes on, but if you measure the pin outs you just get 12V (the led power?)

Any Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you sketch and upload for us a simple diagram that shows:

Which model number your relay board is
Which pins on that board you are measuring
Which LED you are looking at

That will be a start to answering your question. I have some IQ3 experience, but I can't visualize from what you posted.

If you are reading a voltage on a relay output, it must be coming from outside the Trend I/O board. Relay outputs are isolated (dry contact).

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

There is only the one IQ3 in this project.

226754_10151393152422531_158864307_n.jpg

I'm measuring between 35 and 36, shows an open circuit, then 12V DC when the LED comes on (when the relay output is supposed to be closed)

I RTFM'ed it for you. A relay output is marked NC C. Your outputs are marked P O, indicating an analogue output. It's probably working as it is intended to.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Confirming what waross said. That's an analog output module. It's doing its best to put out 20 mA if you have it turned ON, but there's no load attached so you get the full output voltage.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Oops, I was thinking of another brand...

IQ3 analogs are 0-10V. The P is for external power to the output, 0 is signal common, and the center terminal is the voltage signal. I don't know why it would read 12V instead of 10V...

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Hmmm... You say 1-10V and 18 mA. The specs on your linked page say 45 mA at 6 to 28V. The technical data sheet pdf on the web site says 45 mA.

The analog outputs are current-limited (20 mA), it's not a good idea to put inductive loads on them, and Trend says no. Those outputs are designed for high-impedance loads (10+ kΩ is common).

See item 9 on page 5 of the attachment. The lower left corner says it all.

You need something designed for the purpose of switching a relay based on a low-power voltage.

Disclosure: I am a consultant for Kele, and was their Chief Engineer for many years.

These will work:

Don't forget your manual: HERE

Best to you,

Goober Dave

That one looks pretty good. It only wants a trigger signal, your analog output will not actually be driving the relay directly.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back