Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triangle wave generation for PWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryg

Electrical
Feb 23, 2001
US
Is there an easy way to generate a triangle wave for use as a PWM clock using only an oscillator and a few components? I currently am using a astable vibrator circuit (with an opamp) and would like to improve the frequency accuracy.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1.) XTAL osc-- Single shot -- Constant current
charging C & open coll. or FET discharges it.

2.) Phase lock present circuit to xtal.

More ? Send specs. nbucska@pcperipherals.com

it's gonna be a bit complicate to describe,so bare with me:

have two inverters in series, with a resistor from the end to beginning ; from the end, through another resistor, in a third inverter wich has a capacitor in parallel; a third resistor should be placed from one end to another of the hole scheme. You can collect the triangle wave from the end of the third inverter .
If I told you something you already knew, sorry, but that's the first thing(and easier, I say) that came in my mind.
If you think it's too complicated, what can I say, try finding some of them specialized IC's(I'm sorry, I'm don't have an appropiate catalogue).

PS: please excuse my bad english or my(eventually) poor thinking documentation. Hope to be a help...

glorgl

What about just integrating ac rectangular wave from an rectangular wave oscillator?
va(t)=Integral from nT to (n+1)T/2 of A ~ At
vb(t)=Ingegral from (n+1)T/2 to (n+1)T of (-A) ~ -At
with appropriate integration time shift adjustments for n=0, 1, 2, ...

Or take the wafeform from a 555 time Cap. Just run it strait into a opamp with a high imput impedence (live a j-fet opamp). and youll get your charging ramp from the cap. this can be used for PWM.

You can use the 555's 'Discharge' FET to produce a 'switching current' triangular wave. Charge a cap on any fixed reference voltage with a current 2*Io while discharging it with Io (-> charging with Io). The 555's switch add's another 2*Io to the discharge path (-> discharging with Io). Build the current source either with pairs of matched, fixed biased transistors (maybe use a cascode to improve output impedance) or with two opamps that control the current through an N- and P- type transistor(virtually any will do) over the voltage drop over matched resistors. Feed the triangle wave back to 555's comparator inputs...et voila. It produces a quite linear output. Frequency and duty cycle can easyli be adjusted. Need a schematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back