Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triangular Steel Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

agps

Structural
Dec 1, 2008
SE
Hello!

I´m testing a FEM of a triangular column with 16.5m height which will hold a publicity screen on the top.

For the triangular column I used on the edges of the triangule tubes D244.4x5.4 and between them steel plates S275 with 10mm thickness. The edges have a distance between them of 1m.

Only submited to wind loads The result of the analysis was ok for the deflections, ok for the tubes but for the steel plates I have a stress value around 1000 N/mm2 (pressure)untill 1 meter from the bottom of fixation.

I tested the same column but instead of steel plates I created a frame work (truss column) and the result was very good.

So, how should I interpretate the stress values of 1000 N/mm2 Comparing with the fy of the steel (275) which is much less? Can I compare this values just like that?

Thank you for any answer.

agps

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your answers sound illogical. As I understand your structure, you are using 245 x 5.4 circular hollow sections as chords, with continuous webs made of 10 plate. As an option, you used trussed web members between the same CHS sections, and that gave you acceptable results, but the plate web is grossly overstressed. This result sounds opposite of what I would have expected. Something is wrong with either your model or the interpretation thereof.

Dear colleague Hokie66!

Thank you for aknowledge my thread so fast. In the meantime I solve my problem.

I just wanna let you know that your interpretation and your considerations were 100% correct.

I was doing a wrong interpretation thereof.

My apologies for my poor technical english.

Regards

agps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back