Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Triaxials on Sands Question n tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGreco

Civil/Environmental
Aug 19, 2004
GR
Does anyone know any references or has any available data on complete triaxial drained tests on Sands? I do not need them to be preoccessed (i.e. diagrams) just the sample characteristics prior and after the shearing.
Moreover, if anyone is interested into applying equations on v (specific volume) - vs lnp' plot for sands at low confining stresses, there is a very useful reference :Gudehus G. 'A comprehensive Constitutive Equation for Granular Materials', Soild and Foundations (Japanese Journal) Vol.36 No 1 1-12, Japanese Geotechnical Society..

Thanks All

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Poor fella, it seems noone really cares about your being stuck with laboratory testing...hopefully something might come up in the future. Joking but really would help if one or two guys from soil mechanics section could try and help me out with this. I just need accesible reference with triaxial testing on sands. i.e. one ref is Kildallen et all, NGI 1982 internal report but that's not actually accesible..

Sorry for insisting and thnks again

I did a search of the internet (yahoo.com) using "dilatancy of sand" in response to your query in one of the other forums. One of the hits was a paper by Islam et al "Comparison of the Yield Locus and Stress-dilatancy Function of some Critical State Consitutive Models with Experimental Data for Carbonate Sand" IE(I) Journal - CV, Vol 84, Feb 2004. He has a lot of references (one by an old mentor, Dr. I. Holubec). Another hit was a paper by Liu and Ling "A Sand Model Based on Generalized Plasticity" 15th ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, June 2002, Columbia University, NY NY. Might do a check of these (first or second page of the search hits).
[cheers]

Hmmm,

It has been a month and no additional responses.

After reviewing the original question, it appears that the question was too vague. What are you trying to do?

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora. See faq158-922 for recommendations regarding the question, "How Do You Evaluate Fill Settlement Beneath Structures?"

Hi, is there any correlation between ASTM and BS standard in soil test? Is there any differences, significant differences in term of results between this two methods? Let say if test compaction according to BS and ASTM, will the result significantly differ? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back