Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Trilinear interpolation in mathcad prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julian89

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2013
NO
Hi all!

I'm attempting perform linear interpolation with 3 independent variables, like so:

Snag_20f69519_yvcr8g.png

The goal is to extract the rows corresponding to d0..d3 based on the inputs a, b and c.

Here is a simple test data set that I have put together:
Excel sheet here

I have done interpolation with 2 independent variables using the Bicubic2D function, but this get's me lost. My best attempt now is to do a simple linear interpolation ('a' to find 'b'), then use the Bicubic2D function to find the dependent variable.

Any tips or hints or resources to help me along the way?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So d0 to d3 are the coefficients of the polynomial for each e. Can I guess that this is a factorial experiment with 2 factors at 2 levels and one at 5 levels.

I do not see how you can generate your values for each e without some underlying data or equation. That is, what are you fitting?

So I think you need to explain what you are trying to do. AT the moment all I've got is wall of numbers with no rationale. Using a cubic function when you say you want linear interpolation sounds a bit sus.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

That kind of interpolation of a tabled "function" in three independent variables was posted a few times in the native Mathcad forum at PTC It can be done using linear interpolation as well as cubic spline interpolation and the tabled data has to be provided in a special way.
You may search that forum but the search function often is of not much help and so you may consider posting your question there in a new thread. I am sure someone will be able to come up with the solution functions you need.

I might be wrong, but is this uniquely defined? Your second set of data and the seventh set have same a, b and c values, with different e values - is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back