Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trim 16 seat type, Renewable or Integral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavis1968

Materials
Sep 18, 2006
US
Dear friends,

Do any body knows about type of seat in Trim 16 is renewable or integral type, in my opinion the both type are possible but the our Client is telling in trim 16 valves we have only integral type and he is refering to Table 8 of API 600 which is in it for Seat Surface Typical Specification Grade is written N/A and Client is telling that means the renewable seat is not applicable and just intyegral seat is possible, I know this is not correct but I couldn't find where the type of seat is refeered to type of trim specificly and strictly, can any body help me?

Cheers,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, the type of seat ring for trim 16 includes 1)threaded renewable seat ring, 2)Seal-welded seat ring, 3)intergal seat.

I can not understand your second sentence, but I hope my answer is helpful to your question.

Dear Pavis,

I guess you client want to buy stainless steel valves made of 316L? When the material of the trim is as same as the body of the valves, intergral seat is the common practise.

Regards,

andy

The API Trim designations only are applicable to the seat surface materials and stem materials. They do not specify if the seats are integral, welded, or threaded in.

Trim 16 is the designation for Co-Cr hardfacing (Stellite #6) on both seating surfaces and a stem of 316 stainless. The backseat is manufacturers standard.

If we are discussing a 316 stainless steel valve most manufactures would provide a solid 316 valve with a integral seat ring that has a stellite overlay on it.

I've never been fond of the "renewable" terminology because what does that mean? You can go in and lap any metal seated valve to some extent to "renew" the seats regardless if the seats are integral or not. So does this make all metal seated valves "renewable"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back