Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trimming curves - Siemens NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelkSA

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2013
ZA
I have a a set of curves that when taken in parts form the perimeter of a body of revolution. The curves however overlap at places and I need to trim away parts of the curves so that I am only left with the parts that I require to revolve the body of revolution about the central axis.

I have tried to use the 'Trim curve' and 'Trim corner' commands and assume that the 'Trim curve' command must be the one I need to use, but I cannot get the right result using it.

I am attaching the file trimming.prt file as well as a picture of the result I want (done in Paint[bigsmile])

A second problem I have:

The current splines are a result of Law Curves that were scaled. I noticed that in the scaling process (Edit->Transform->Scale) the curves become unparametarized and get converted to splines. Is there a way to keep the curve parametric after scaling?

I suspect that I should be able to do this using the parameters themselves but am unsure exactly how to do this. I am also uploading a file law_curves where the curves are defined as Law Curves and I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me figure out how I can scale the curves from the expressions themselves.

I am not asking for this help because I am too lazy to play around with the stuff myself. I have literally spent hours trying to figure this out and have given up, so I really need help.

Thank you in advance
Michael

------------------------------------------
Here's looking at you, looking at me, looking at you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=292775de-ff7a-4416-80b5-86fb385cc645&file=files.zip
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is as close as I can get (see attached file) and keep the original curves, but there's a small gap that can't be corrected without losing the original curves.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6600443c-4083-4253-90ff-790a9eaf3859&file=law_curves-JRB-1.prt
The scaling thing, It is not parametric / Associative. It's still on the "Siemens fix in somewhere in the future" list...
A workaround to make an associative / parametric solution could be extrude the splines a short distance, use Scale Body ( Feature) on the bodies and use the edge of the scaled body for the next operation.

I do not understand what is you want to accomplish with the trimming, the image didn't tell me anything.
Should the sketch be used in the profile ? Should it be consequently convex ? ( no concave sections at all ?)

regards,
Tomas

Thank you John and Tomas for your replies.

John, your solution to the trimming seems to be OK except for that discontinuity. I was hoping that as the original curves lined up perfectly I will be able to get a perfectly smooth curve.

Tomas, your workaround to the scaling sounds promising. If you are curious to what I meant about the trimming you can have a look at the file John uploaded. Except for the discontinuity it is what I wanted to achieve.

Michael

John, I figured out the problem with the trimming, I just defined the exact location of the point as I know where the two curves should join.

That you for your help.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back