Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tripped Substation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadwiseman

Electrical
Aug 20, 2003
CA
Hi, I'm trying to put together a safe work procedure for a tripped mobile substation (delta-wye) that is resistance grounded. When we have a ground fault, is there a safe way to approach the substation? While most codes say we should limit our GPR to 5000V, we have the possibility of reaching 15000V, which can make step potential high. Any advice, or research material would be apprecaited.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly.

Ground-fault primary side or secondary side?
On the secondary, that is one of the reasons for resistance grounding, to limit your GPR to a save value. What is your voltage level and your resistance value?

[red]Failure seldom stops us, it is the fear for failure that stops us - Jack Lemmon[/red]

Make the best use of Eng-Tips.com
Read the Site Policies at FAQ731-376

I suppose that you cannot improve the grounding grid of your MOBILE substation.
You could increase the additional resistances like imposing the use of isolating shoes and glovers

86ranger,
Even with boots and gloves, there's always the potential to trip and get electrocuted. Are you able to supply an above ground earth grid (e.g. cyclone wire tied together with copper bonding conductors) to make it safe? Should the area be fenced off to ensure no-one is walking past when there is a ground fault?

Regards,
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back