Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trouble Sourcing Specialty Fuel Injectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

samplesecond

Automotive
Dec 12, 2006
Howdy

I am working on an gasoline engine development project, and am having a bit of trouble sourcing appropriate fuel injectors. This is a port injection configuration, and I cannot accomodate multiple injectors/port.

The main issue is that I have very tight space constraints, with relatively large flow rate requirement and spray pattern. The injector must flow 13g/sec (43psi), split stream nozzle pattern, and (the problem) the injector must be no taller than 2.20" from the bottom o-ring to the top of the fuel rail, as well as being a low impedance injector (1.8-2.5ohms).

I have made contact with siemens, bosch, magnetti marelli, delphi, without much success..

If anyone has any leads on a specialty fuel injector manufacturer, or has an 'in' at one of the major players, I would much appreciate it.

-OS-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know you said you've talked to Bosch, but have you tried Bosch Motorsports or just the normal production guys? I've worked with both at my previous job, and some of the production guys didn't even know about the motorsports parts available. I remember seeing some Formula 1 injectors that were very small, though I think that might have been in diameter, not length, it's been a while. If cost is a consideration though, I'm not sure it will fit the bill, but it's worth a shot.

Bob

I work in R&D at Marelli USA. Who did you speak to here? 13g/sec is a very high flow. I don't think that any of our standard "Pico" injectors flow that much. What kind of quantity are you looking for. I might be able to help out.

Samplesecond,

13 g/sec is well beyond most normal liquid port injector specifications for static flow at 3 bar (approx 43 psi.) 2-4 g/sec is fairly typical of an OEM type injector. Some of the "racing" application injectors run 6-8 g/sec. One possibility would be applying a gaseous fuels injector (designed for Propane, Natural Gas, Hydrogen, etc . . .) but metering liquid.

I previously worked for a company that manufactured such an injector (Quantum Technologies.) They use a company called RC Engineering as a representative for small volume applications such as motorsports, hobbyists, university vehicle teams (SAE, Futuretruck, etc . . ..), and other non-OEM customers. Check out:

RC Engineering also handles many other types of injectors, and should be able to help you find a suitable flow spec port injector, if one exists.

-Tony Staples

Thanks for all of the responses!

Ataloss: Spoke to Bosch Motorsports today-Definitely much more helpful than the 'standard' bosch line. Their standard EV6 injector has a static flow rate of around 11g/sec-which supposedly will acheive my required flow rate at about 4.5-5bar base pressure.

NCShane:I dont have my notes handy, but I believe I spoke with a gentleman in marketing/sales. He was going to talk to his R&D dept about the potential of adapting a current model injector for this high flow rate-which sounds like you are probably the man I need to speak to..I will ring you guys tomorrow..is there an ext # to reach you directly?

Tstaples: I have conducted business with RC engineering in the past, and they infact, were the first call that I made. They do supply injectors with very high flow rates, but none are of a compact nature.

samplesecond: I'm not available by phone for a while because I am in Brazil working on a calibration project. If you can send me an email with a few more detials, I'll try to put you in touch with the right person in the US. We are making small size injectors for alcohol and CNG powered vehicles for the Brazil market, so we should be able to find something with a sufficient flow rate.
my email is shane.dunlevy@marelliusa.com
dimensional info for the pico can be found here

mclaren have supplied me with 30bar injectors before- If you need small bodys and high flow then higher pressures maybe the only way to go?!

If not give them a ring anyway theyve always been very helpfull to me and i believe they will do some custom work for the right bank account!

Hello guys,
Magneti Marelli has a Motorsport department which is extremely flexible and experienced in term of custom applications. They have or they can arrange for sure what you are looking for.
You can visit the homepage and then enter motorsport section. I think to remember that there is also a downloadable catalog.
Look for IWP-R which is the racing version of the Pico injector.
Marelli has a Motorsport office in Detroit:
37483 Interchange Drive
Farmington Hills
MI 48335 - USA
Tel. +1-248/61581

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back