Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Trouble with large assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent5791

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2014
US
I am having a lot of trouble with my pc lagging with larger assemblies. It seems that nearly each click or command I enter takes 5-20 seconds to process. No issues with smaller assemblies or single part files. The attached screen shot shows my pc's current specs and my video card is an Nvidia Quadro 4000. Is this sufficient?
I'm wondering what is recommended for large assemblies. Does anyone know?

Thank you,
Trent
NX 11.0.1.11

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=86bbe176-744b-4ac9-ac3f-12833b678598&file=PC_Specs.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What else is running? Any Office apps, streaming music, multiple sessions of NX, etc?
The hardware and OS seem perfectly capable of running NX.
When did you last reboot? I recommend that my users reboot weekly if doing large assembly work. Memory does not always get freed when just closing an application.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I can close all other apps and still get the exact same performance. Not that much running anyway. Just Teamcenter, Chrome and Excel. Yes, it runs NX fine on the smaller files, but it really lags on the larger files. I'll try rebooting but I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

Thank you,
Trent
NX 11.0.1.11

Look for an updated video driver. That is where I would start.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

When you are talking about a Large assembly, how many components are we talking about?
Did you try and use the load options Lightweight and partial loading?
How about using one of the other functionalities like Load Structure only and after that Open by Proximity?

Also check what your memory (RAM) is doing when you are loading the assembly. Is it "filling up" ?

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

I don't know exactly how many parts. Is there an easy way to get a part count or a file size?
If I had to guess it's easily in the multiple thousands.

I have not tried any of the suggestions you made but I will. Thank you!

I watched the RAM while I opened the file and while doing some operations in the file. It seems to be fine, never really exceeding 25%.

Thank you,
Trent
NX 11.0.1.11

My bet is on the video driver, any takers?

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

We are hardwired but we are in a different building than the server and I believe the fiber optic cable has a limited bandwith. So, that could be part of it. The video driver was updated a few months ago and when we did that it seemed to have zero impact. I'm terrible about never shutting down my pc. So, I took loslib's suggestion and re-booted. I was surprised to see that it did seem to improve the situation. It still sucks...but it's a bit better now.

Is it the general consensus that my pc hardware components (cpu, ram and video card) are sufficient?

Thank you,
Trent
NX 11.0.1.11

There are NX driver recommendations, and then there are the card manufacturer's recommendations --- and sometimes they differ.

Brand of computer?

What is your Visualization preferences set to? File preference Faceting?

Also under File preference Visualization performance Model size you can set this to large, Maybe this will give you a some better responses. There are sliders you can mess with which gets you better performance but really takes the details out of the geometry.

We are running a quadro k4000 and with some of our large assemblies the performance really goes down.
So with this we usually load the assembly with structure only, then load only the parts or components we need.

Try NV 24.2.14.1181

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back