Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trouble with the 'wrap' feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilLee

Mar 11, 2002
CA
I have sketched a pattern of holes on a plane and then used the Wrap feature to 'wrap' them around a pipe. I then 'Debossed' them to make holes through the wall of the pipe.
This is a smaller pipe that slides into a larger pipe. The larger pipe has single hole in it. This hole is sketched on a plane tangent to the face of the pipe and then 'cut' through the pipe wall. It is not wrapped...

I have inserted a mate that makes the outsides of the pipes concentric. I have now tried to mate the drilled holes by making them 'concentric' but it won't allow me to do it.
I tried inserting an axis in the center of each hole thinking I would then mate the axis 'coincident'. I am unable to insert an axis in the 'wrapped & debissed' hole but I can in the 'cut' hole.
I understand that there is something different about the 'wrapped & debossed hole'. At first I thought that it was not cylindrical but rather slightly conical. This would preclude making it concentric with the 'cut' hole but the axis solution should have worked equally well on a conical hole.
This is the first time I've used th 'wrap' command. Any ideas what is causing my headache here???
Thanks!
Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This doesn't answer your wrap question, but why not create the hole in the smaller tube the same way as the larger and then pattern the hole instead of the wrap feature. This should allow you to mate them with the concentric.

mncad

I was waiting for this question! :)

The smaller pipe has a pattern of holes (5 holes offset 30 degrees radially and 1/8" lengthwise from each other)

I agree that I could do each individually (insert a plane tangent to the face and 'cut') but when I discovered the 'wrap' command I thought it was really handy...

I'm hoping that there is a simple answer to the 'wrap' question.

Phil

Phil,

The wrap and deboss cuts into the surface that it is wrapped around in a normal direction after the wrap. This means that your holes are not round and cannot be selected for a centerline or concentric mate. Use mncad's suggestion to get true round holes.

Timelord

PhilLee ... Check out Pattern Features in the Online Tutorials

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

I tried the Pattern Feature tutorial and I agree that this is perhaps on the right track.
I did the tutorial and providing I can find a way to 'Skip Instances' such that I am left with cuts at the following locations only (1,1) (2,2) (3,3) (4,4).
Using the Linear pattern then followed by the Circular does not allow me to do this. As soon as I 'Skip' (1,2)(1,3)(1,4) in the Linear feature, the corresponding instances in the circular papttern are skipped as well. In the Circular Feature when I skip an instance, the entire 4 cuts are skipped.
Is there any way to do the equivilent to this 2 step process (linear pattern then circular) in 1 step such that I can 'Skip Instances' to be left with this stepped pattern?
Phil

ok I'm back...
Using the Curve Driven Brush as a reference I have succesfully made the helix, 3D sketch, and then used the Curve Driven Pattern Feature to get 5 holes to follow the helical spline in the 3D sketch at a 0.5" spacing.

The propblem now is that the holes (cuts) are not rotating as they follow the curve; their orientation stays the same as the first resulting in partial holes that are not normal to the curvature of the pipe.

I presume that I am missing a setting/selection somewhere but I can't find it. [banghead]

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back