Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

troubles: can't open microstation file!!!!!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2003
ZA
i get the message: unable to open design file... what can i do to resolve that this problem. the file IS a *.dgn 3D file of great importance for us...
Fixing the document by the repaire application of microstation doesn't matter: we tried it several times.

please help!
dries

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what the exact error is, but I often get an error when I try and COUBLE-CLICK the file to open it. If this is the case, just start up Microstation and then open the desired file from INSIDE OF Microstation.

If it's not that, then I'm not sure what it is. Try checking with Bentley or your Tech Support. Good luck.

Hehe. Yeah, I've used a lot of their programs and they are really good work horses.

Locutis :) Do it right the first time or...
do it all over again!

What I have done in the past when I get that error is to create a new blank 3D file (with the name of the old file followed by a 1), using a seed file that I know has not been corrupted. Then I reference in the old file that cannot be opened. It will most likely appear normal when referenced. After referencing it, highlight everything in the file, and then copy it into the new file. Next, detach the old file. Copy the old file into an a new directory titled "Old". Next, close the new file and rename it the to the old file's name. That has worked for me every time.

Hope this helps,

Mike

An easier way to do what mjflorio suggested is to create a new blank 3D file and MERGE in the data from the corrupted file. This command is found on the Microstation Manager toolbox under "File". This ensures that all data is merged to the correct location in the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back