Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Truck Entrance TIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdpTX22

Civil/Environmental
Mar 25, 2010
US
I am to prepare a TIS for a new truck entrance at an industrial facility. Currently trucks enter the main entrance along with employees but this is causing back up on the main entrance road.

I need to determine the impact of adding a truck entrance on an adjacent state highway at an existing signalized tee intersection. The intersection does have a left turn phase, which would be the major movement into the new truck entrance. The new truck entrance would be the new "4th" intersection but will obviously be a private drive, with no through traffic.

What are the major components of analysis/data needed/software needed to analyze the following:

- adding left turning trucks to the intersection (right now the only left turns are u-turns but they are getting a protected left turn), i imagine the left turn signal time would need to be extended

- capacity of new truck entrance which requires security screening before entry, i imagine some sort of queing model similar to a toll booth but with a longer process time.

I know I'll need the following data: existing truck counts, forecasted trucks, rate of clearing trucks through security, existing and forecasted state hwy traffic, existing and forecasted left turns (u-turns).

Thanks for the tips!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

- capacity of new truck entrance which requires security screening before entry, i imagine some sort of queing model similar to a toll booth but with a longer process time.
Probably stating the obvious, but I think you'll need to show in your design that you have some holding facility capable of storing a given number of trucks who are waiting to pass security, such that there will be no potential for queueing back onto the public highway and causing problems at the signals. That is, unless the realistic arrival rate can be guaranteed to be significantly lower than time taken to get vehicles through security.

And don't forget to add queueing distance and separate turn lanes for trucks exiting your site to get on the highway.

And a turn around area between the signal and the security gate for public cars that enter the driveway by mistake.

I did find in Lindberg's PE reference a discussion of queing models MMS and MM1, multiserver and single server. I'm thinking single server is appropriate. Also my Transp textbook has some additional information, still need to look it over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back