Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

True or Pseudo Critical Pressure for Sizing Control Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

idavidqs

Petroleum
Feb 19, 2013
VE
For an assignment I was working on, I needed to reference the critical temperature and pressure for a hydrocarbon mix. For the particular stream, I used the "critical properties" utility, which displayed "true" and "pseudo" temperatures and pressures.

What do you recommend for sizing control valves, true or pseudo critical pressure? What do you think for hydrocarbons (diesel, fuel oil, HVGO...)?
The difference between both values may be significant in some cases, which affects the control sizing calculations.

If anybody is able to shed some light on this issue, i'd be greatly appreciative :)

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it affects the criteria for valve sizing when cavitation is likely. It is not exact, but a basis for design that is usually found to be acceptable.

The API is a good source

for two phase flow with wide boiling mixtures I do not use ISA formulation but HEM or HNE models,
ISA requires critical pressure to estimate the pressure drop (i.e. the maximum allowable dp) in case of flashing as hacksaw noted,
but the method doesn't work reliably for wide boling mixtures,
note that for pure fluids there is no difference between true and pseudo values and the standard do not discuss that possibility.
I calculate true critical pressure (or temperature or other properties) with a library (Prode) and macros in Excel as =StrPc() this allows to create pages to compare results from different methods,
according some comments and papers it would seem that a more accurate way to evaluate the maximum allowable dp (i.e. single phase liquid flashing) is to model the valve for example solving an adiabatic flash operation (in my case =HPF() in Excel) to identify the point where the liquid begins to flash, then adopt that dp instead of ISA value,
you may try this solution and compare values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back