Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

true position callout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltonmj

Petroleum
May 15, 2023
BE
Hi, I have seen an unusual callout in a standard stating "spherical radius to be located at true position within 0.01 total indicator runout".
Aside from the lack of datums the wording to me is not something I have came across in GD&T (though I am fairly new to this). Has anyone came across this kind of wording before and could explain what it means?
If it was my option I would have used a profile tolerance to control the spherical radius. I have doubts as well on whether this is actually a feature of size that a true position could be used.

api_7hu2_nnnt6h.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, this is actually another problem I have with the standard. It doesn't stipulate what GD&T standard they refer too. I can only assume that it coming from an American standard that it is using ASME Y14.5.

OP said:
...Sorry, this is actually another problem I have with the standard. It doesn't stipulate what GD&T standard they refer too. I can only assume that it coming from an American standard that it is using ASME Y14.5....

Well, you embedded a picture in your initial post.
Where that picture it's originated from?

Based on the picture's structure (with key / legend identificators) looks like it is from an ISO standard (not ASME), but I might be very well wrong.

Looks like a way to say "total runout".
They probably didn't mean "true position" as the Y14.5 term that describes the basically defined tolerance zone center for the tolerance of position. A position tolerance for a spherical feature would control a theoretical center point (if the feature had any opposed points - which it doesn't), and the mention of "total indicator...." would be out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back