Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trumpf Gas Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekchan

Computer
May 21, 2011
SG
Can someone recommend me where I can buy reconditioned or new gas cooler for the Trumpf Resonator?

We suspect the gas cooler is the root cause of our 1.5kwatt laser loss of power. We actually move one of the gas cooler to a working machine and we see the power starts to drop very fast after startup.

Seems like we may have more than one gas cooler with problems.

Can anyone recommend where we can purchase reconditioned or new gas cooler for the trumpf TC600L 1.5 kwatt resonator?

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=93660a75-c303-415e-ba8f-df332a942beb&file=Gas_cooler_3-1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i don't know, but i would think a good aluminum welder may be able to fix it. make a plate with a fitting, valve and gasket and pump maybe 5 psi into it and see if you can find where it leaks, then have it repaired or seal it yourself.

"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand, 'cause they are stuck on me"

Thought of leak, welding...

The surprise is we put 6 bar into the cooler, soak the gas cooler in distill water, we did not see any bubble!!!

Even more surprising the gas cooler I installed in a working machine shows no leak, but power drops....and inspection later shows a fine white crystal growth inside!!!

I think hard to check leak as need a vacuum. Not compressed air!!!

That's why look for replacement

Anyone go idea how to find the leak?

We do have a microweld machine to dot and seal the leak. But with 6 bar compressed air, and soak distill water, we don't see bubble.

Any suggestion how to find leak?

disclaimer: I am not an expert on coolers

but I think the white crystal growth is your problem. I think it is corrosion or maybe just residue. either way it is probably affecting the heat transfer from the gas to the laser cabinet. Maybe there is a way to treat the corrosion in some sort of bath.

Hmm...So you think I should not assume there is a leak ? More of why there are tiny white crystal ?

What could cause the crystal ?

Derek

I would ask Trumpf, it may be common, it could also indicate a liquid coolant leak getting int your gas system. I have not worked on any trumf's so I am not sure. but you certainly shouldn't have foreign matter of any kind in your Gas system. goodluck

For my case, we now confirmed that the gas resonator is leaking, very tiny holes leak, and enough to pass leak test. Need 7 bar of N2 soak in a distill water to see leak. 6 bar no bubble!!

Considering microweld to seal the leak.

Now I understand the symptoms. White crystal is dried coolant getting into resonator chamber. After startup, the coolant seep in and power keep dropping...

Thanks for help. Close case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back