Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Truncated cone

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt58

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2005
US
Having some issues modeling a sheetmetal cone. I can get a sheetmetal cone to unfold so I have a flat pattern but I can't figure out how to truncate it and get it to unfold. The diameters of the cone are 2" and 3" with a 1" length. Any help would be appreciated.

snip_20170223162448_pkhj7r.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The last time I worked with SW (2010), you had to have a finite gap (ISTR .002" or more) at the butt line where the ends of the rolled blank come near, or SW went crazy, or you did. It may have been improved since then...

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I can get a cone to unfold, you just need to leave a gap as you said. Just can't figure out a cone with the bottom cut off.

SW can't do this, as the flat "truncated" area you have in your model is not a straight sheet metal bend. It would be formed by an operation which stretches metal. SW can't unfold a curved corner. Having said that, I haven't used SW17 yet, so...

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

I didn't mention we planned on welding the flat portion on to make it easier to manufacture. I got a flat bottom cone to unlfold with the lofted sheetmetal feature. Just had to set up the profiles so there was no bottom.

Remove the flat portion from the model, add that back in as an assembly, then unroll /flatten the curved portion . Use the lofted feature to get the cone .
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back