Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TRY-COCK 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustedDesire

Civil/Environmental
Jan 3, 2015
FR
Please, i need an explanation to the meaning of a try-cock, if it's just a valve name only or also apply to as a set of valve arrangement for sampling vessel levels when level gauges are in-operative.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't heard that term in several decades (and then it was spelled "tri-cock"). If I remember right, it is a valve configuration that we commonly refer to as a "three valve manifold" or a "3 ball manifold" today. It is intended to be an inlet, outlet, and bypass around a piece of equipment like a compressor, pump, separator, etc.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. ùGalileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

I too have not heard the term for many years. A simple Google search will tell you it is a valve used for determining liquid level. When the valve is opened does liquid come out. The place you will most often see them is on propane vessels, although Is usually hear these called spit valves.

Could it be a mix-up with test-cock? Almost same use and combination: a stop valve connected to a vessel or pipiline. one port connected to the pipieline, the other port open to direct visual (physical test of content, or also withi a connection enabling mounting of a test instrument (thermometer etc, etc) ?

Thanks all for the replies.
Yes, Zdas04, you're correct, that is what i used to know about it (tri-cock). But, the term came up at my work site when level gauge on site and transmitter to control room becomes inoperative on the electrostatic dehydrator. The only way to know the liquid level is by sampling by means of set of valves arranged in slopy manner (see attached for e.g.). And, when i searched on-line, i didn't really see any clear explanation to that.

@Mike, thanks for the link, i also came across it during my search on-line.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6827008e-44ce-481b-87d4-1953497a0901&file=TRYCOCK.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back