Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to assign keyboard shortcut, but get an error

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreaq

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2005
CA
I've defined most of my common commands with keyboard shortcuts thru Tools - Customize - Keyboard.

All work great except for one letter, "E". When I try and assign it to "Extrude" I get a message saying "Key E is already assigned", but it does not mention what it is assigned to, like any other assigned key I have. Additionally, I have looked at each command, and E is not being used. This is the 2nd install of SW on my machine (I did do a full uninstall/reboot), and I used to have E assigned properly.

Does anyone know what files or registry settings have the keyboard shortcut info?

phreaq
Has anyone seen my brain today? (^_^)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Phreaq,
Your right, I cannot find the "E" command either. However the "E" is used for Filter Edges. You may have to choose a different key.

Bradley

Keyboard shortcuts in general work very poorly in SolidWorks.

My main shortcuts are "Alt W" for Zoom Window, "Alt B" for Zoom Previous and "Alt A" for Zoom All. They don't work about 30% of the time. They quit working while assigning mates, inserting notes in drawings and at other inconvenient times.

The process of creating shortcuts is horrible. It is almost impossible to find many commands on the lame little Customize, Keyboard menu. My VAR said they were going to help me with this issue, but I never heard back from them. I guess I should get back to them, but it is hard to get excited about assiging keyboard shortcuts when they don't work much of the time.

Scott

Well I'm glad I'm not alone ;)

Back in the day, I used to use a program called "AutoHook" for AutoCAD. You could define any key to any command, and even multiple commands. Great tool! but unfortunately, it doesn't work in SW

phreaq
Has anyone seen my brain today? (^_^)

I just love our macro keys, some SolidWorks commands and some are my own. Our macro keys work 98% of the time. When they do not work it is something I did. I copy all our macros keys to the C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\Macros

Bradley

ScottinSD,

While I agree that setting up the Shortcut keys is a painful process in more ways than one, I have to say that overall I have had very good success with using/applying shortcut keys. Altho there is a glitch I've come across in SW2006 that pops up every now and then (mentioned in another thread about sketch geometry disappearing).

As for your problems, I wouldn't recommend using the [Alt] key in any Shortcut combinations. The reason is because [Alt] by itself accesses the main menu, in any Windows application. So for example, to save without using your mouse you can consecutively hit [Alt], f (for the File menu), and then s (for Save). I'm guessing your problems are coming for any [Alt]+keystroke combinations. As for why SW would recommend using [Alt]+keystroke combinations...I have no idea.

I use many a single key shortcuts, [Ctrl]+keytroke combinations, [Shift]+keytroke combinations, and/or [Ctrl]+[Shift]+keystroke combinations every day and encourage other Users here to do the same.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the inpu. I've always wondered if it might be the Alt key. I have been using those short cuts since AutoCad 3 back in 1986. I like to use the Alt key with my thumb since it is closer to the letter keys. The Ctrl key and the shift key need to be used with the pinky finger which makes my hand hurt after a short while (even back when I was young, but more so as I get older).

I will have to admit, I am not going to start using Ctrl shift keyboard shortcuts at this time. If the Alt key can work some of the time, than it is a bug in the sofware if it does not work all the time.

SolidWorks needs to give some real thought to helping users customize the software and decrease the number of mouse clicks. It would be nice if we could change the speed that the mouse moves on the screen for that matter.

Scott

ScottinSD,

Yes, I know the wrist pain you're talking about. I only use the [Ctrl} and the [Shift] keys in combination with keys that are about 3-4 away, and have been ok since that change.

My latest experiment is with a mouse that has extra buttons on it that are programmable. I have the [Ctrl], [Shift], [Ctrl]+[Shift], and the [Enter] keys each mapped to a button on the mouse. This means that I only have to hit one key with my left hand, (since I'm pushing the other "key" with my right hand still on the mouse). Also, the only thing my right hand ever left the mouse for was to hit the Enter key, so that is why I included that one too.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back