Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to Choose a Relay Test Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanAnderson888

Electrical
Jan 28, 2011
CA
Hello All,
First time user of eng-tips, so I am hopeful I can get some helpful tips.

I work with an electrical utility, and at the moment we are evaluating different relay test sets that will be purchased in 2012 or 2013. We won't be purchasing anything soon, but for budgetary reasons we would like to have an idea of what we want to buy soon, so we can put away the money for when we will purchase them.

Firstly, our relay test set needs to be compatible with a variety of relays we are using - Sel-351R, Sel-651R, Sel-751A, Cooper form 5, Cooper form 6, ABB PCD, and S&C 5800.

So far, I've been looking closely with the Megger MPRT. It seems like a versatile unit that can do all the tests we require. I have some requests for pricing out for this model.

My real question - Is Megger one of the "Better" relay test sets? Does anyone have experience with any other relay test sets, and if so, what were your thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Ian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Omicron has some cool stuff, as does Manta. Whatever you choose be sure to get the training on it, will save you time in the big picture. Your best bet is to attend a trade show where all are on display and you can play with them. Next one is Powertest in DC next month, I will be there shopping myself.

I'm not sure you can test Cooper form 5 and 6 with a "conventionnal" test set. You must have their own test set from cooper, "type MET electronic reloser control tester"

both Omicron and Doble make adaptor kits for interfacing with recloser controls. That is key as these devices (Cooper in particular) require 52a/52b and have complex transistor tripping arrangements. Failure to trip in an alloted time yields an internal "breaker failure" type error in Cooper devices.

Single pole tripping in 651R and Cooper Triple Single applications adds to the complexity and requires additional complex cables. I've used Omicron for this with great success. After using Doble for past 5 months, I am not impressed with their software. The hardware is fine. Trying to set up a reclosing sequence would be difficult at best with SSimu macro in Doble.

Thanks everyone, I've got lots more to think about now. There seems to be lots of interest in Omicron, and some for Doble. I'll check both of them out...

Thanks again!

We use a Doble F-6150 think they are about $60,000. I have heard good things about Manta thou. Also we use to have a MPRT it's ok I guess. You also need to think about what software you are going to use. The software that you choose can make or break the usefulness of your test set becuase you could spend all day "making" a test for a relay .vs having a test software company making it for you. I know Doble and RTS work well with just about any S.E.L. product If you buy a 6150 think ProTest comes with it for free. We are using EnoServ RTS and love it!! Great customer support!!

Hello, One thing you should check out is OMICRON. They have special test cables with sample test plans, which will test all of the Reclosers that you ask about and many more reclosers & sectionalizers too. They have a booth at DistribuTECH.
They even have the S&C Scada Mate & Intelli-rupter.

We use a Manta MTS-5000 with EnoServ RTS at my company. The vast majority of relays we test for clients are SEL and Multilin relays, and a smattering of electromechanical units. There are quite a few Form 6's we've tested it with as well, with much success.

In the last years Chinese also try to enter that market. I am particularly interested in PONOVO products, but am a bit suspicious about their reliability. If somebody has experience with test sets PW431 or PW336 will be great to publish his impressions.

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

In my experience, having local support is a very important part of the equation. The PONOVO products look impressive, but also appear to be heavily reverse engineered.

If price were the only criteria, these would seem like quite capable machines. I reviewed the product brochure pdf and found that it was not properly translated to English. that would leave me a bit skeptical about other documentation.

If cost/savings is a concern, I would recommend going with Omicron 356. If not concerned with money, then I would recommend the Doble 6150. I have used both extensively, and have found little to complain about with either of them.

In regards to the Megger test set, I haven't used the MPRT as much, but one good thing that I like is their test plans ability to somewhat automate the testing of Multilin relays. They utilize the relays MODBUS registers to add some automation to the relay test plan. This is a nice feature and is something even Enoserv is not doing with Multilin. With Enoserv, you either have to manually enter in the relay settings or point the software at the setting file.

I would also recommend talking to the relay technicians that will be doing the actual relay testing, and seeing what their preference is on test sets.

They all have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day just keep in mind that just like with everything else in the world, you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back