Trying to determine best way to improve gear performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

stapler2

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2024
US
Hello,

Pictured below high speed gears in a centrifugal planetary mixer. They tend to fail very quickly, seemingly by slippage. I've been tasked with finding a way to make the system robust. Below, I've included a slow mo video of how the mixer operates, a picture of the gear that is failing both new and worn. I'll include the determinations I've come to, but I'm at a bit of a dead end when it comes to ideas past here.

Context and failure mode: It begins to slip, causing the teeth to wear down. The gears last anywhere from a week to 3-6 months, under intermittent use. (3-6 seconds at a time, total use being less than 5 minutes per day, less than 20 minutes a week. It's only the middle bevel gear that is failing, which seems to indicate to me that maybe the gear doesn't quite match the center spur.

Possible solutions that I've arrived at:

- Manufacturer's replacement: Since the mixers are cheap Chinese mixers, the warranty situation is unclear, and replacement parts are hard to attain. In addition, they do not last any longer than the original parts.

- Rework with existing gears off of the market: The gears are fairly custom and do not have any sort of equivalent on the market (that I've seen). It is a non-standard axis angle (for example, mcmaster carr only has bevel gears with a 45deg axis difference, these seem to be about 40deg).

- Add lubrication to the gear: I'm pretty sure that these are nylon, and should be self lubricating. But could adding lubrication reduce the amount of friction between the gears to make them last longer, without increasing slippage? Additionally, which grease would be viscous enough to not fling around the inside of the mixer? It's not a self contained gearbox, and it's not very easy to access the gears to add lubrication constantly.

- 3d print the gears. Traditional fdm with PLA or resin probably wouldn't result in more durable gears. Metal 3d printing leaves concerns about surface finish.

- Investment cast the gears: I don't have access to an investment casting facility with enough fidelity to reproduce the gears.

- Machine replacements (this seems to be the most long term solution): I have access to a 4-axis CNC machine, where if I could create a good enough model, a good replacement might be able to be made. In that case, would 6061 aluminum be a good candidate for the gears? What other resources are there for creating bevel gears? What kind of lubrication would be necessary? Could the center bevel gear be the only one to be manufactured, since it seems to be the primary failure point?

Thanks for reading, I'd be glad for any advice about how to progress further. Any insights on why it's failing, other possible strategies to reduce wear, and any resources for creating a replacement is welcome.
444781295_1011637393809580_3603973163102192784_n_fbmfrc.jpg
[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/video/upload/v1718126768/tips/447999662_8013352545355930_424334532723070885_n_ccbktf.mp4[/url]
436528133_455497327128783_9024233077760777048_n_gjpist.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

can you explain what "failure by slippage" means? is the gear slipping on it's axle ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

The teeth seem to be slipping past each other. The gear is free to move up and down on its axle and is limited by the placement of the other gears.

Stapker
Can you draw a crude picture of the gear train.
Also gear teeth, DP or Mod, PA, rpm input and torque. Looks like high rpm and vibration

What is the quality class of the gears. And did you say a bevel gear is mating with spur gear.?
There must be interference between the gears. And the pricision is not good enough.
This not a simple answer. The whole system , shafts bearing, gears all have to have a quality of precision. And torsion, twist, bending moment and more has to be analyzed.
Is there to much swirl, bending moment.
You may need to higher a pro with plastic gear experience. A good gear software program could save time and analyze gear box. For errors.

It looks like the gear train originates with a stationary narrow angle bevel gear; the failed part has a matching bevel on one end and a spur drive on the other. That spur drive goes to a large spur gear. This gear and the large spur gear are on a mount that rotates around the initial stationary narrow angle bevel gear causing the the spur gear to rotate as the carriage turns.

I suppose one could contact a gear maker to cut one from aluminum bronze, but then you'll be replacing the stationary bevel gear.

Does the stationary bevel gear not wear out? They should be replaced as pairs.

As an aside, I have a similar problem with the self-propelled lawn mower; it's got a plastic internal gear molded as part of the wheel and, while replacements are available, they definitely do not last very long. The plastic is too soft and any contamination, such as grass clippings, that enter just get packed into the internal gear roots; it's all enclosed so I don't see how the failure occurs. I don't have enough interest to have custom internal gears made of a more durable material - probably costs more than a new mower.

In short, I get the frustration. If you do order parts, order 50 of them.

gear_failure_lik6m8.png

3DDave, that's exactly correct. My apologies for the low quality video, it looks like the attachment got downgraded significantly.
Just saw your edits, yeah that seems like the way to go. Honestly, I think we should just buy higher quality mixers to begin with, but I guess we'll see what I can get funding for.

mfgenggear, gny good suggestions for a gear software?

The spur gears are not meshing correctly with the beveled gear. I all ready know this.
To prove it you will have to spend money.
Take a machine to a gear vendor, have them make a Fixture to hold bevel gear and a spur gear and check it for tooth pattern and or total composite error. If its excessive. Start from scratch with new gears.
To my opinion rolling a spur gear with a bevel gear was not good idea.

Added this: on a planetary gear drive, center distance and back lash is critical.
Also the the pinion takes the most stress, wear, And bending. So it has to be profile shifted
Profile is shifted to make the gear teeth stronger.
The planet gears has be adjusted minus profile shift.
In other words the gear teeth of the sun gear are enlarge to strengthen. The planets reduced.
The arrangement has to be precise to maintain back lash. Other wise the gears will wear or have excessive interferance.

The big trick in making that is preserving that ring of material between the two gears; maybe if that isn't required from using metal then it can work more easily.

Keeping that ring means not using a gear cutter and instead using a shaper, but then the cuttings are getting packed against the ring and that will be tough to finish. Maybe mill a relief an give up some gear face width?

The other method that comes to mind is making a pair of graphite tools for EDM to cut from each side. I suspect that the maker of the die did just that to plunge cut the shapes into the mold, but those tools could be cut with a regular gear cutter or shaper as the ring recess in the mold would just be a milling operation. Making a tool to cut these would require an internal gear shape.

Maybe just make a tool that EDMs one tooth at a time for each of the gears and index the part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back