Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Trying to fix an R10 bearing for a rotating shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

454Casull

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2005
CA
The rotating shaft is 5/8" with a standard ANSI keyway (3/32"x3/16"). The axial motion of the shaft will be retained with retaining rings in grooves machined in the shaft. The shaft will be held by two R10 bearings spaced about 2.5" apart. All materials to be stainless steel.

The current design (timing belt assembly) has two parallel plates with press-fit holes machined for the bearings so that they can be pressed into the plates. However, I would like to avoid this since it seems that the cost is rather high for the tolerances required for a "proper" fit. The other option I looked into was having separate plates/flanges that bolt into place, with loose-fit bearing holes and using internal retaining rings to keep the bearing axially fixed as it seems the tolerances for a loose fit are easier to achieve than a tight fit - a standard reamer should do it well enough. However, the plate becomes very thick - at least half an inch, to support the bearing and the internal retaining rings.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is support a 5/8" shaft between two bearings spaced about 2.5" apart, and I'd like to hear your opinion as to what the cheapest/best solution is to locate the bearings.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of tolerances are required for the shaft position in the application. Consider not only the true position but also the angularity allowable in the shaft. In most power application the angularity is a bigger problem than the true position. End loading a gear is a very bad situation.
Using adjustable bearings can present some difficult assembly problems.

@BrianE22 - I didn't think of that! But, the problem is that I want to minimize the parallel distance between the plates, and there is a solid pulley in between, so the bearing would interfere with the pulley unless I pushed the plates apart. I'll have to think about it.

@BillPSU - I'm not sure what tolerances I need. The shaft will be keyed to drive a timing belt pulley, so the highest precisions won't be required, but I don't know how much slop it can take. Let me check my timing belt book...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back