Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to get back into Electrical Engineering field - need advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandm

Electrical
Jun 27, 2013
US
I am hoping that I can get some helpful feedback on here. I graduated in 2006 with a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering. Since then and up to today though, I have been working in Software Quality Assurance. I now desire to seek employment in the Electrical Engineering field but I have some questions:

1) Having been out for 7 years, I know that it will be HARD to get my resume looked at by companies (I have tried). Should I take refresher courses? Suggestions?

2) I also have a bit of an idealistic spirit and mind. I want to use Electrical Engineering to be directly involved with helping people especially in developed countries or in other ways. What path can you suggest?

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Electrical engineering is a broad field (dc to light). You'll need to focus on a particular area based on your interests. A government job will probably be easier to get than something in the private sector, because you have your EE degree and this will get you in the door. The private companies will be more suspicious.

People on developing countries need reliable electrical power. But idealism and engineering can be somewhat mutually exclusive at times.

Thanks dpc. One of the technical institutes here offeres an Electrical Design Certificate. I was thinking of using this as a means of "refreshing" myself and stand a better chance of having my applications looked at.

If you're thinking about electrical power, some familiarity with the National Electrical Code (if you're in the US) will be helpful. Since the 2014 NEC is about to be released there will be a lot of seminars in the next 12 months on the NEC changes and NEC in general.

You might want to look at the following org:Engineer without borders. I know some colleagues who worked with them in Quebec. You might find a way to merge engineering with idealism. You should find interesting projects and you will have a chance to refresh your knowledge.

Good luck!

NEC 2014 is out. I purchased it last week. you can also get access to a free version on the NFPA website. It is online and you have to flip through it page by page so it isn't a very handy reference. It might be great for review though.

Z

Depending upon their viewer, you might be able to grab a copy of it. I like having both an electronic and a hard copy... hard copy for actual reading, and electronic for searching.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back