Trying to Learn PLC Programming 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinueus

Electrical
Feb 4, 2010
US
Hi,
I always fall short on job applications because I can't program PLCs and the classes cost a fortune. I have the LogixPro sample diskette but that only allows ladder logic programming and working with that does not qualify me as a PLC programmer. I am thinking about buying a used PLC and learn to do it myself. There is one for sale in ebay that includes the following modules:

ALLEN BRADLEY 1746-A10 SLC 500 10-SLOT RACK W/ MODULES
1746-P4 SLC 500 POWER SUPPLY
(3) 1746-IA16 SLC 500 INPUT MODULE
(2) 1746-OW16 SLC 500 OUTPUT MODULE
(1) 1747-SN SLC 500 REMOTE I/O SCANNER

I think the numbers in parenthesis mean the number of modules included but I am not sure.

My question is: How much would I have to spend to get a system running so I can learn to program it? I am laid off so I can't afford to go overboard with this project.
Thanks for the replies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You know I took two courses at a community college. I was the only BSEE, everyone else was a techie. It was hands on and relatively cheap. I got access to the lab. We had a small starter kit for the first class, and the second class moved on to programming three diferent forms of machinery.

It was only like $300 for a 16week course, and I eventually got a job out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back