Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to re-orient a part... stumped. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanDH

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2010
US
Hi gurus-

I have this part document I downloaded from the manufacturer. It is slice of "profile" or "extrusion" framing, like the 80/20 stuff but by a diff mfr.

Trying to create a quick/simple mockup of a few frame designs without worrying about any hardware or gussets, etc. So the profile will be the only type of the part inthe assm docs (of course the diff parts will be extruded to diff lenghts) .

Here's the issue I'm having: None of the parts in my models will be orientated with the non-slotted side down, as the part comes. When I put the first part in the assembly, it locks it with respect to the origin so my whole model ends up not orientated as I need it.

Since I need to rotate about the axis normal to the sketch plane, the ability to change sketch plane doens't help me. Also, I am not too keen about diving into the manufacturer's sketch and start moving lines around. It is a mess in there anyway, completely underdefined. Moreover, I'd like to know the "correct way" to do something, instead of a workaround.

Isn't there some way to put the first part into an assembly, not fixed to anything, then move it around, then set it to be "fixed"? Seems like that should be a very standard functionality, but I cannot find it???

Thank you.
-Evan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After you insert the component into the assembly, right click on the part in the design tree and select "float". Next, rotate the part, as required. Finally, right click on the part and select "fix". The part is now fixed in the orientation you require.

Thanks so much and sorry for the simplistic question.

Now I see where it's mentioned in the Help, but it sure would be nice if they also mentioned this on the "Insert Component/Begin Assembly" page.

Definitely be sure to mate the first part to the assembly planes or your subsequent views will be completely hosed.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

I just did a rotate "by delta" 90* and then fixed again without touching anything else. And since the rotation axis = middle of part in extrusion direction, it all worked out.

However mating to origin planes sounds like an excellent habit to get into so I will go back and add those right now.

Thanks for the tip.

This post brings up an interesting question.

Why is it that when you insert the first component into an assembly it is fixed in that location by default?

I hate that I have to float the part first, then mate it to the assembly planes or coordinate system. I'd prefer to have the part unfixed by default and if you would prefer to fix it rather than mate it to something, you could do so. Seems like we have an unnecessary couple of clicks here...

Do not click in the graphics area to place the first part. Just click the green check mark and the first part will automatically be located at the origin, and be aligned with the assy ref planes.

That's true CBL, but like some of the other guys, I always float my first part, and mate it into place. I have had an assembly, that due to a user mistake had the first part fixed, off by aboout.0000003°. That assembly gave me soooo much grief that I am in the habit of mating the first part in. So I would like to have the option to not fix the first part in an assembly. Sounds like an IDEA huh?

This should be a FAQ I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I saw a lot of threads where people were asking how to change the triad or swap planes (for instance make the top plane the front plane) ..and there wasn't an easy answer. This was definitely the solution I was searching for. Thank you to all of the contributors, this forum is excellent.

That's true, your planes are GOD. You can change the view orientation but it's all kind of on the surface and a hack, everything just works better if you get your orientation right right from the start. I'm afraid.

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Think ahead when designing your first part that you are going to insert in an assembly. Make sure you design to the triad in the sketch screen and plane, then the insertion into the assembly is basically a drop in, in the assembly. I try to go a bit further and design all parts in relation to the triad, and planes of the assembly. That way all parts are a drop in in the assembly. Some times its a bit of a hassle, but in the long run, all works out a bit smoother.

Just an FYI. I did something similar a couple of years ago with an manufactured extrusion. I found it was best to create a custom weldment profile and sketch the frame as a weldment and add the members like a weldment. If you properly add the custom profile properties it will create a cutlist with all lengths saving you from creating length configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back