TSOs and transformer manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPelec

Electrical
Jul 2, 2011
IT
dear all,
the TSO I work for has recently acquired a large power transformers firm; To my knowledge, this is the first example of vertical integration between utilities and transformers manufacturers. Do you know any other similar case?

Si duri puer ingeni videtur,
preconem facias vel architectum.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In India NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation ) the major generation utility took control of TELK a couple of years back. TELK is a major transformer manufacturer, started in 1963, as a joint venture with Japanese transformer manufacturer. But this type of vertical integration goes against the cardinal management principle -stick to your core competence.

Thanks everybody for the answers!
Yes jkristinn, I'm referring to Tamini Group.
Yes, the vertical integration between manufacturers and TSO/DSO could sound weird, especially in this period of liberalization and privatization. That's why I was curious to know if this already happened with other utilities. However it seems that this is not an unique case. TELK is a quite big firm; although NTPC is an almost completely state-owned company this case seems very similar to ours.
I'm curious to know which procurement strategy is now used by NTPC: do they purchase the transformers directly from TELK or do they still uses different manufacturers?

Si duri puer ingeni videtur,
preconem facias vel architectum.

NTPC took over TELK in 2009. Since then,they hardly purchased anything from TELK. No special preference. Real liberalization!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back