Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

TSSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee555

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2005
CA
Would someone be able to tell me if CRN Numbers are required for all components on a skid or is it just the pipe and piping fittings?
Have a package whos' design needs to be TSSA certified.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are the design conditions? Which piping code? What else is part of the assembly? Control valves? Filter housings? Heat exchangers? If this is hydraulics, then the TSSA doesn't look at it. If it's pneumatic, then any components over 3/4" will fall under the pressure piping codes.

If this piping assembly needs to meet the pressure piping code requirements in Ontario, and is being assembled here then it'll need to have its' design & spec registered with the TSSA, be assembled by an authorized shop, and they'll have to witness the pressure test. If it's coming in from outside of the province (assembled in another jurisdiction), I'm not sure what needs to done, but I'd check into it before I ordered anything.

Yup....All components will need CRN numbers. Actually, should it have been made in Canada, it will have some kind of CRN. What you need to do is find out in what jurisdiction it was fabricated. Some manufacturers pursue the cross provincial CRN's although many do not. Start with the manufacturer. He should be able to help.

Backflow Preventer that is CRN registered....1/2" or 3/4" would anyone be able to tell me if this exists or where I can get one, and if it doesn't how do I get around TSSA certification?

Ceee555 - What exactly are you building? Backflow prevention devices are typically used to protect domestic water systems from contamination. The TSSA has several divisions - boilers & pressure vessels, fuel utilization, elevators, amusement rides, etc., but plumbing code administration is another code enforcement body. Do you mean CSA, rather than TSSA?

I have to thank you TBP, you just may have saved my job here, I informed our customer of this and they are looking into the use of the of the Backflow device!!!!
Thank you sir!!!!!!!

And on that note would anyone be able to tell me what exactly needs to have CRN on a piping system under the Pressure Boilers and Vessels act, is it just the piping and components? Anyone know the exemptions?

Impossible to say without more info. The completed piping assembly will be issued a 'P' number, which the CRN covering entire package. What's the fluid in this piping? What are the design conditions? This stuff can turn into quite a maze of exceptions & requirements.

Someone once wrote what they thought the letters "ASME" stood for - "always, sometimes, maybe, except".

Cee555 - If you've got questions about your project you'd rather not post, you can email me at: tpbindustrial@on.aibn.com

Cee555

Here is my useful site for CRN number and requirements.

CRN numbers apply (differently) to pressure vessels (over 14.7 psi?) and fittings (including valves and instruments sometimes).

If your supplier does not have a CRN number for your province, he may be willing to apply for one (business decision). You can always ask.

This isn't Engineering related but since I talk to you people on a regular basis I thought you might be able to help. Would anyone know how to remove surfsidekick from ones PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back