Tube to Tubesheet welding 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avi_Weld

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2023
IN
Hello All,

I Have a question regarding the Impact test requirement for Tube tubesheet welding. Since ASME gives us permission to Combines PQR, i was curious to know if i can combine a butt weld PQR with impact test as supporting to a Tube tubesheet welding PQR for a WPS for Tube to tubesheet welding with impact Test requirements?

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Avi weld, as long as the referencing code does not invoke QW-193 of Sec IX, one is free to qualify WPS for a tube to tube sheet weld on a butt weld coupon.

If one does qualification through mockups of QW-193, impact tests cannot be done on those kind of coupons anyway. So, the construction code - if it requires impact tests for tube to tube sheet welds, would be cognizant of that, and would not invoke QW-193.

I am curious, which code/clause specifies impact tests for such welds?? As the thickness of tubes is generally in the region of 1 mm to 2 mm. How does one do impact test in those thicknesses?

Would love to see what others got to say on this.

Cheers.

@Avi Weld @Ethan18

Groove WPS with impact test can be use for welding of tube to tube sheet joint as ASME Sec IX gives provision on it.
Mock-up for tube to tube sheet only need when required by applicable construction code (ASME Sec VIII Div-II) or Client specs. Impact test exempted for 2.5 mm and below thickness as per UG-84 of ASME Sec VIII Div-1, so WPS qualified with impact test can be use to weld TTS joint by using combination of WPS (e.g One PQR with thickness 40 and other PQR with thickness 10 mm and below)by meeting both member thicknesses of tube to tube sheet joint.

Hope it clarified to you.

Fahad

Thanks for the response all.

Impact test requirement came as client is given operating temp at -15 Deg C.
Since it is clear that invoking QW-193 will not get us impact test. I can proceed with the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back