Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tubing bender die Manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt98

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2006
I am building a tubing bender at my vocational school. The die I need to make has a .625 radius that is revolved 120 degrees on a 5 in radius. We have a Hass 3 axis vertical milling machine. Is it possible to use 1/2in. ball mill to cut my profile. We use master cam to set our toolpaths. Any suggestions on setting the toolpaths would help my project. Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a lathe project, plunge the radius with a form tool that you can easily make,then turn this as a whole disk and cut / mill out the sector you need. As a turned surface you will be able to get a smooth finish in the radius.

jck26

To answer your original question, yes, it is possible to mill that groove in the edge of a vertical blank with a 3 axis mill, and generate the required radius with a smaller cutter.

How to do it should be in your Mastercam textbook.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Also needing to fab some tube bending dies...

I made a ring roller a while back that I'd now like to use to bend some 3/4" to 1" dia. aluminum tubing and possibly some copper and conduit. So I need to make another set of roller dies that have "circular" groves matching the tube diameter.

Can someone please tell me the best method for cutting this "circular" grove using my 9x20 lathe? My lathe tool post is limited to 1/2" x 1/2" tooling blanks, so I'm not sure what is the best way to make and mount a cutting tool that will be large enough to turn the needed grove diameter.

Am hoping someone can tell me how to make the tool and/or jig that will fit my tooling post.

Thanks

Scott

That lathe probably doesn't have enough motor or enough iron to run a form tool that big in steel. So, use a pointy tool that it _can_ handle, and _generate_ the radius.

It's possible to spend a lot more, but I swear I bought a ball- turning attachment for less than $200 a couple of years ago, probably from MSC, maybe from McMaster.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I finally cut my die and to answer my own question I could do it on a 3 axis milling machine. The die finish is not so bad and with a little polishing it will look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back