Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tubing material for seawater

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomiranda

Electrical
Apr 19, 2007
BR
When I have to specify Pneumatic transmission lines for instruments generally I use as material ASTM A 269 GR.TP 316.
But now I have one project in my hands where my instruments (i.e. PDIT) will work with seawater. My process team is concerned in using this material due the possibility of corrosion.
I have one copy of an old client specification that says “Monel shall be used for tubing and fittings for seawater application”.
Does anybody can say if I can use 316 with seawater without problems or if there is a standard where it is explained in details?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It really depends on the "saltwater" enviroment. If the tubing is exposed to air most of the time, then there should be no problem. However if the tubing is exposed to a reducing or oxygen starved enviroment, then 316 SS will not work.

The tubing will be in a marine environment (offshore unit), but my instruments will be in contact (the tubing) with salt water. One pump collect water direct to the ocean and my unit is responsible to remove the sulphate of the water. So several instruments (PDIT, PIT) will have salt water inside the tubing. What material can I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back