Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tungsten carbide, heat, bidirectional flow, abrasive particulate, pressure, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amockalypsenow

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2016
US
Hi gang,

Any suggestions on how to put this darn WC nozzle into a custom flange so it will not budge and may be removed down the line for replacement?

I'm sort of out of my league here; I need to figure out a way to secure a tungsten carbide flow jet (effectively a nozzle or plug) into a steel flange separating 2 pipes.

Its to be living in a sort of refinery situation, where there will be 300 degree heat, bidirectional flow, moderate pressure, and abrasive particulate in oil, oh my!

Being a machinist I thought, "shrinkfit and I'm done", but then remembered that at 300c degrees the steel flange is going to expand and loosen up and the Tungsten carbide (WC) is going to expand far less. Plus, this needs to stay solid for a looooong time, hopefully.

I'm thinking of having a shoulder on one side of the flange and some kind of pin/mechanical situation on the other side, or even brazing.

I'd really appreciate some help. I'm young and trying to shorten my learning curve.

Thanks in advance all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back