Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tuning Fork type Level Switch installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper_at_work

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2019
IN
Hello!

I have been reviewing some nozzle orientations for agitated vessels, and it has come to my notice that the nozzle for the level switch (tuning Fork type) is oriented adjacent to the pump recirculation inlet nozzle. Level switch installation guide recommends the switch should not be near any inlet nozzle.

How bad could be the implications of such an orientation? Is there anything that can be done to nullify them since the orientation has already been sent for fabrication?

Regards,
Piper

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used that type of sensor for solid bin level detection, never for liquid so that's outside my experience. However, if it's advised that it should not be near an entrance nozzle, that would suggest to me that it is affected by turbulence, which would prevail anywhere in an agitated vessel. I look forward to hearing other's input on this.

Brad Waybright

It's all okay as long as it's okay.

A vortex breaker or similar at the entrance nozzle would help to cut out turbulence at the liquid surface if you have no other choice but to locate this tuning fork LT near this nozzle.

The level measurement happens by the difference between frequencies of the tuning fork while vibrating in air and in water. If it is close to water inlet, you may get false indication as the water may continuously get poured on the tuning fork. You can try covering the fork in the direction of water flow.

Doesn't the concern depend on whether you are trying to measure the level while you're filling? You can probably install a vane to block most of the turbulence, but a procedural change to allow the liquid to settle before taking an "official" measurement could also be possible.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Even had the tuning fork been installed correctly, any high flow filling operation would result in splashing and ripples, so there's a limit to its accuracy and some form of PID control would still be used for any accurate measurement of fill

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back