Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tunneling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike00

Civil/Environmental
Jun 19, 2004
US
Hello,

I am looking into a method of tunneling that is new to me. It requires the thrusting of specially developed curved metal plates at a specified length and width, into the soil, then continuing to attach each link until an arc forms and a tunnel is created, then it is excavated, with the metal arc acting as the wall supports. The tunnel can be excavated to a certain height to allow for the equipment and personnel to conduct the construction.

Does anyone have a reference for me

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is known in french as "bouclier à lances". The Vernier tunnel near Geneva in Switzeland has been built this way from one of its ends. The other end was excavated with a pilot hole done with a TBM and enlarged with a milling machine because it was in hard moraine. There was no water table. The advantage of the "bouclier à lances" is that the upper half was excavated directly to the full section.

BigHarvey,

Do you know a reference for equations to design the plates ie. min required thickness, etc.

Mike

BigHarvey,

If you can also send me the scans to mnassif@utdinc.com.

Thanks, I tried sending this post before, but I don't think it went through, so here it is again.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back